Shipping activator packs? Forbidden fruit 3463?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocksideBrew

Reaction score
Anyone recommend a place to order wyeast activator packs from? I am concerned yeast may "spoil" or something like that do temperature fluctuations. Concern? Also, anyone every use wyeast forbidden fruit 3463?

Just about all of the online brew shops sell activator packs via mail. I've never had any problem, but I always make a starter. Anytime you are unsure of a yeast's past handling, that's usually a good fix.

I've only used 3463 once, but I liked it. A bit funkier than the other wit yeasts out there.

I tried forbidden fruit once. It was, in fact, my first brew. My opinion of that yeast is tainted by what I concluded was some kind of infection. I'll never be sure. The outcome was a very sour tasting beer. Again, I suspect that it was just an infection and not the yeast itself.

I did order the yeast online and the activator pack worked fine. The airlock activity was going nicely within 24 hours.

I've order Wyeast quite a few times through both NorthernBrewer and Midwestsupplies with no issue even with some arriving in freezing temps. Don't worry about it.

I currently have two Belgian Wit's going - one with 3944 and one with 3463. Unfortunately I can not yet lend an opinion as they are not even one week in the fermenter yet. Heh... with both those beers fermenting in my hallway the sulfur smell is pretty strong :)

Rev.

IMHO:

It is called FORBIDDEN fruit for a reason........... ugh............
:drunk:

personal tastes vary.

Are you doing a wit? Just use a Safale dry yeast or a Nottingham and rely on your spice additions for flavour and aroma.

-my two cents.

Back