Shelf life of all grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XRAYA

Reaction score
Bought an all grain kit online about 3 weeks ago. Shipping took forever so I contacted the company. They said its possible that the package had been lost so they said they would send a replacement kit. A couple of days ago I got a package and then I got another tonight (score!). Anyway, I only have one fermenter and it will be awhile before I have time to brew the second kit. Can anyone tell me how long the kit will keep(hops,crushed grains)?

I've been told by my LHBS that crushed grains only last for a few days after milling. I made a batch 2 weeks later once and it had an alkaline taste. I made everything the same as my other batches. I of course blamed it on that so I will never wait that long again after crushing/milling before I brew. However, I don't know if the old grains were the cause of this. I'm assuming though if the grains are kept in an air tight container/vacuum packed it would last longer. My grains after waiting 2 weeks were NOT in an air tight container and I think that was my problem. If anyone on here has knowledge of that, let me know.

Definitely use it sooner than later. Hope this helps some!

I recommend picking up a food grad bucket at your LHBS. You can make the wort and store it for a while before doing a boil. I will say you want as little air exposure as possible.

I've have kept milled grain for a year before using. It was in a plastic bag and stored in my closet. I brewed with it and did not notice a difference. While I agree that it is best to use it sooner than later, it does have a pretty decent shelf life. Just keep the plastic bag/container closed and it should be fine.

I believe the LHBS that indicated that the grain is only good for a few days is misinformed. Perhaps it is not at its peak, but it's definitely still very suitable for brewing. I hate to argue with someone who makes his living selling home brew supplies and equipment, so I base this on my experience only.

Hope this helps!

Store the hops in the freezer. They will lose some potency, but they should be fine if used within a couple months. You didn't mention yeast, but fridge is the best. Absolutely necessary for liquid and preferable for dry.

Ive heard crushed grains will last up to 3-4 weeks before they even start to become a problem. I usually order grains uncrushed to avoid any issues.

Keep grains dry, yeast in fridge, and hops in freezer, and you can leave it for as long as you like before using.

Some will argue as to how long you can store everything, but at least a few months will not be an issue.

Make both beer kits and compare to see if you can notice a difference! Brew the fresher one first and the older one last. You might be able to answer your own question with some time!

Transferred the batch to the secondary yesterday. I'm a little concerned, the wort looks very murky, almost like muddy water. Anyone ever have a batch turn out like this. I'm a week out from brew day. Do you think it will clear up over time? I plan to leave it in the secondary at least another week, maybe two. I did rack the wort onto some dry hop pellets when I transferred to the secondary. Could this be the reason? All the hops appear to be floating on the top.

Transferred the batch to the secondary yesterday. I'm a little concerned, the wort looks very murky, almost like muddy water. Anyone ever have a batch turn out like this.
Yes

I'm a week out from brew day. Do you think it will clear up over time?
Use the search function for "cold crash", whirlflock, and there is also a wirlpool method for clarifying. A lot of mine just clear up during bottle conditioning. If not, it's still drinkable.

I plan to leave it in the secondary at least another week, maybe two. I did rack the wort onto some dry hop pellets when I transferred to the secondary.
Why?

Could this be the reason? All the hops appear to be floating on the top.

...that happens. They should precipitate out.

Latest posts

Back