SG to high to read

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M@!

Reaction score
I just brewed my second batch of beer yesterday. It an AHS Classic German Hefeweizen (with alcohol booster).
When all was said and done I tried to get an SG reading and it was to high to read. I was getting the sample of the top if that makes any difference. Not know what to do I just yeasted the wort and left it to its devices. It's bubbling nice today, should I be worried?

Was this a partial boil that you topped off with water in the fermenter? If so, the wort was probably not thoroughly mixed with the water. The OG for extract recipes is very predictable, and it's highly unlikely that you've gone off the scale.

Don't worry, your yeast will soon be churning away and everything will be fine. Never worry about your beer, it defeats the purpose of brewing it!

No, it probably just wasn't mixed up thoroughly and you got a false reading. That happens all the time with extract brewing, but you don't have to be concerned. A set amount of extract will have a set amount of fermentables and it won't be possible to get more sugars out than are in there. So, don't worry at all about it- if you added the right amount of water, it'll be just about what the directions say it will be. And the boost will add 1% to that.
:mug:

Yes it was a partial boil extract topped off with water. Thanks for the assurance, I was guessing it was just not properly mixed but I feel better now. Time for one of my bock's from my first brew. :ban:

Mixing problems make some people anti-hydrometer, but as Yooper says, with an extract batch you really can't be too far off.

Latest posts

Back