SG, OG, FG? Oh My

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebat138

Reaction score
Ok... in mashing our grains, I have been taking samples when we are sparging... Lets say my G is suppose to be 1.070 AFTER the boil and chilled

SHould those numbers be close when I am sparging?

Most of the sugars are extracted when you mash. The sparge is to rinse/extract the remaining sugars from the grain and stop the process. So the gravity from the sparge wort will be lower than the mash wort (or first runnings). Depending on your sparge method, you don't need to take samples during the sparge. Also, depending on how you're taking the gravity, your readings could be far off.

If you really want to, take a sample pre-boil (once both the mash and sparge worts are combined) to see what you're at.

Personally, I don't take readings until the wort has been cooled and is in primary (prior to oxygenation and pitching the yeast). Once I have the sample, I take the OG via a refractometer, so I don't have to worry about any influence of temperature. If you only have a hydrometer, then you have a more difficult process for taking the reading. At best, you need to cool it close to the calibration temp of the hydrometer (typically 60F) before taking the reading. At worst, you need to offset the higher temperature reading to get something close to accurate. IMO, more trouble than it's worth.

It depends on the size of the boil in relation to the size of the batch, but in general the boil gravity is going to be significantly less than the gravity of wort going into the fermenter. This is due to water boiling off while leaving the sugar behind. Same amount of sugar in a smaller volume equals higher gravity. Hope this helps.

Good brewing software can help you with this - free trial at BeerSmith...and inexpensive anyway for what it does.
you can find temperature adjustments, boil off adjustments, etc... not too difficult to calculate: your pre-boil (post sparge) sample in 6.75 gallons at 144F will read XXX and should result in YYY after the boil at 65F

Latest posts

Back