SG doesn't drop for several days. Is fermentation done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicbot

Reaction score
So my beers (two 11 liter batches) have been brewing for 12 days now and the recipe suggests a SG value between 1.008 and 1.014 before bottling, and that it should be achieved in 8-10 days. I checked the values first on day 8, then 10 and 12 and they haven't dropped (maybe VERY little). Is fermentation done? Should I proceed to bottling?

So my beers (two 11 liter batches) have been brewing for 12 days now and the recipe suggests a SG value between 1.008 and 1.014 before bottling, and that it should be achieved in 8-10 days. I checked the values first on day 8, then 10 and 12 and they haven't dropped (maybe VERY little). Is fermentation done? Should I proceed to bottling?

Quite often the final gravity has been reached by day 4 or 5. That doesn't mean you should bottle then, there's some cleanup as the yeast breaks down some intermediate compounds and then the yeast starts to settle out. I sometimes will bottle beer on day 10 but sometimes will wait much longer depending on the beer as I know that darker and higher alcohol beers will take time to mature anyway and that extra time will count toward maturity as well as letting more yeast settle out leaving me with less sediment in the bottle.

Now on to your question, if the SG is in the range specified and hasn't changed in 4 days, you can safely bottle the beer. Sometimes the yeast will stall out and the SG will be higher than expected. If that happens, swirl the fermenter and that will often be enough to get the yeast restarted. Do not bottle if the SG is above the range unless you are certain it is finished.

Quite often the final gravity has been reached by day 4 or 5. That doesn't mean you should bottle then, there's some cleanup as the yeast breaks down some intermediate compounds and then the yeast starts to settle out. I sometimes will bottle beer on day 10 but sometimes will wait much longer depending on the beer as I know that darker and higher alcohol beers will take time to mature anyway and that extra time will count toward maturity as well as letting more yeast settle out leaving me with less sediment in the bottle.

Now on to your question, if the SG is in the range specified and hasn't changed in 4 days, you can safely bottle the beer. Sometimes the yeast will stall out and the SG will be higher than expected. If that happens, swirl the fermenter and that will often be enough to get the yeast restarted. Do not bottle if the SG is above the range unless you are certain it is finished.
So maybe I should try gently shaking the buckets, or should i stir in them?

If it is stable at 1.015 you should be ready to bottle. Many of my beers finish about there.
I'll wait a couple days after stirring them and then check again, thanks for the help :)

I didn't have a hydrometer at the start so no OG I'm afraid :(

But the current readings are at 1.015 and 1.02

The 1.015 one is probably finished, is it clear. If not wait a while longer. I always go at least to day 14 before even taking a gravity reading.

The 1.020 may or may not be done. Recipe? Without an OG it is speculation.

The 1.015 one is probably finished, is it clear. If not wait a while longer. I always go at least to day 14 before even taking a gravity reading.

The 1.020 may or may not be done. Recipe? Without an OG it is speculation.
The recipe suggests waiting until 1.008-1.014! I'll wait to day 14 and check again.

The recipe suggests waiting until 1.008-1.014! I'll wait to day 14 and check again.
'

The FG that a recipe predicts is just a calculation. There are very many factors that will affect what your final gravity will be. Don't get too hung up on reaching that number.

Latest posts

Back