SG 1.060 to FG 1.005 In 6 Days!? Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBottle

Reaction score
Hey All,

6 days ago I started a 5 gallon batch of cider with Motts apple juice, 2lbs of dextrose and Nottingham yeast and a couple tsp of yeast nutrients.

I had a SG of 1.060. After not seeing any airlock activity for a couple days I busted out my hydrometer and pulled a reading of 1.005.

I was anticipating 2 - 3 weeks so this has my kind of concerned. Has anyone had this happen to them? My TG was 1.010 - 1.005 so I'm considering backsweetening depending on what others have experienced.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-Matt

I assume that you have calibrated your hydrometer in tap water to see that it reads 1.000? That sounds a bit fast but not unlikely.

I had not actually thought of that. Thanks for the advice. I just checked and it appears to be about 0.0025 off. Based on that I'm still within my TG at 1.0075.

If I get the same reading tomorrow I suppose I'll back sweeten and bottle carb unless anyone thinks I'm jumping the gun.

My cider went from 1.050 (no added sugar) to 1.020ish in three days. It was pretty clear then, but after two weeks it's brilliantly clear. It's been at about 1.004 since day 5 and I'm in no real hurry to bottle it, but I could if I wanted to.

Just remember that if the cider isn't yet clear, when it does clear all of the sediment will fall into the bottle if it's bottled early. That's really the only drawback to bottling early if the hydrometer readings are stable.

Notty is fast, it'll do a bitter and drop in as little as three days, so I assume something like a cider it will do pretty quick too despite being stronger it's simpler

This sounds consistent with what I have experienced with Notty and similar SG's fermenting around 68-71 degrees.

*Edited to add:
ABV's calculated on hydro readings seem spot on based on the highly scientific method of how many 6.5% 22's to drunk measurement

Thank you all for your input. I'm glad to know that I didn't screw something up. I'll be proceeding with backsweetening and bottleing tomorrow.

Thanks again all!
-Matt

Latest posts

Back