settling on a brown ale recipe for a gingerbread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobie99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
trying to lockdown a recipe for the (Mosher inspired) Gingerbread Ale.
I just can't quite get this recipe to where I feel it's right (though I've been brewing for a while now, this is only my 5th or 6th attempt at my own recipe, so I'm looking for feedback).

Ginger Bread Ale (Partial Mash)
1lb 2-Row
1lb Crystal 60L
.5lb Carapils
.33 lb Biscuit
.25 lb Carafa III
.25 lb Special B
.25 lb Chocolate
1lb Light DME (@Boil)
3lbs Light DME (@Late Boil)
1lb Molasses (@Late Boil)

Kent Golding - 1oz @60 mins
Northdown - .5 oz @15 mins

Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale (also condiering London Ale III as alternative)

Additions @end of boil:
4g Cinnamon
2g Ground Ginger Root
1g Cloves
1g Allspice

According to Brewtoad:
OG: 1.06 FG: 1.018 ABV: 5.5%
IBU: 22 SRM: 31
If you want, you can see the recipe here: http://brewtoad.com/recipes/ginger-bread-ale-1

In the past, the most effective recipes I've come up with have been pretty simple and I think I might be trying to do too much here... any thoughts/help/suggestions? Much Appreciated.

Thanks!

i notice you never had any replies to this...how did it turn out? i am thinking about a gingerbread ale for christmas this year....meaning soon...

The Doctor

"I came to Casablanca for the waters."
"What waters? We are in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

Hey Doc,

It ended up turning out to be phenomenally yummy.

Pretty much like cake! I may very well re-brew it for the coming holiday season if I have time (I also brewed the spiced bourbon stout, and that was such a big hit I will certainly be revisiting that one!).

My final recipe was close, but varied a bit from the post here. If you follow that brewtoad link in my initial post, it reflects the actual recipe I ended up using.

I say definitely go for it. It was a big hit across everyone who had some regardless of gender/age.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks! I just did a pumpkin spice ale today, so may try this one in a couple of weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back