Session IPA Recipe Help (Boat Beer??)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
Failed on my first PM attempt, so want to try a small batch (3 gallon) session IPA for my 2nd partial mash attempt.

Sterling/Centennial came from my hop plants in yard. Have some Simcoe, Citra, & Cascade in the freezer. WLP090 is from first yeast washing in April...

Any thoughts are appreciated. I am craving Carton Boat Beer (NJ)....

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Session IPA
Author: KR

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.031
Efficiency: 35% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 4.35%
IBU (tinseth): 169.23
SRM (morey): 6.48

FERMENTABLES:
5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (66.7%)
1 lb - American - Vienna (13.3%)
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (13.3%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (6.7%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Sterling, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 59.28
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 68.14
0.5 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 36.58
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.23

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - San Diego Super Yeast WLP090
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 79.5%
Flocculation: Med-High
Optimum Temp: 65 - 68 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.5 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2013-09-13 00:15 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2013-09-13 00:15 UTC

That seems like an awfully high amount of IBUs in a beer of that gravity. Perhaps moving all of your hops to 15 min and later additions would help. This should give you a very nice hop flavor and aroma as well as keeping the IBUs down. You could even lower the amount of hops in the boil and save some for dry hopping.

I have brewed few batches of a Session IPA recently and I have been pretty happy with keeping the IBUs around 40. My OG has been around 1.044 - 1.049 & FG 1.010 - 1.012. I am still dialing in my recipe, but the batches I made have been extremely seesionable.

I only usually hear of people using their homegrown hops at the end of the boil, because they don't have a way to test the alpha acids in the hops. Could you bitter with something else you have on hand and then load in the Sterling and Centennial at the end? Are they coming straight off of the bine? I know there is some ratio out there telling you the amount of fresh hops to pellets.

how are you only getting 35% efficiency? that's like impossible. i'd ditch the extract if you're only using 1lb, may as well just do AG. you can keep it as a safety in case you're efficiency is tanked again

i would completely change your hop schedule, only 0.5oz late isn't gunna cut it. over 80% of your hops are bittering adds! definitely don't waste your homegrown hops for bittering, save them for the end of the boil. same goes for the simcoe.

even if its only a 3gal batch, id make sure you make a starter if you're using washed yeast that old

If you want a FG of 1.009ish, I'd suggest subbing .5 pound of corn sugar for .5 pound of the DME. Extract and crystal malt can be less fermentable, and have a higher FG as a result. If you're fine with the FG being in the 1.012 range, then don't worry about that. I would cut the crystal a bit, unless you want a sweet(ish) finish.

For hopping, two different bittering hops mean lots and lots of IBUs, but no flavor or aroma and it's a waste of hops as well as lacking in flavor and aroma. I'd totally change that to:
.5 oz bittering hops (or to about 25 IBUs here) 60 minutes
.5 oz flavor hops 15 minutes (centennial is good, but so is simcoe)
.5 oz flavor/aroma hops 10 minutes (again, good flavor hops here)
.5 oz hops 5 minutes
dryhop with 1 oz of centennial/simcoe/cascade, your choice

how are you only getting 35% efficiency? that's like impossible. i'd ditch the extract if you're only using 1lb, may as well just do AG. you can keep it as a safety in case you're efficiency is tanked again

i would completely change your hop schedule, only 0.5oz late isn't gunna cut it. over 80% of your hops are bittering adds! definitely don't waste your homegrown hops for bittering, save them for the end of the boil. same goes for the simcoe.

even if its only a 3gal batch, id make sure you make a starter if you're using washed yeast that old

I am just starting out with PM..this will only be my 2nd..(first one I screwed up- got no conversion)...No clue how to calc my efficiency yet.

Made some changes-

HOME BREW RECIPE:

Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.035

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.042
ABV (standard): 4.4%
IBU (tinseth): 79.9
SRM (morey): 5.57

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (31.6%)
3 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (31.6%)
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (31.6%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (5.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 39.49
1 oz - Sterling, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 34.35
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.06

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 155 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 1.5 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

YEAST:

Date: 2013-09-13 22:38 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2013-09-13 22:06 UTC

I actually have some "Centennial Type" in my freezer...

Maybe=

1oz Centennial Type @ 60
2 oz Homegrown Sterling/Centennial mix @ 10 (or @5)

I've never had that "boat beer", so I'm just telling you what will be good tasting to me, and not a clone- but that's much better than all those hops at 60 minutes.

IPAs, especially lower gravity ones, should have lower IBUS (to match the lower OG) but still good amounts of flavor and aroma hops to make it taste like an IPA instead of a harshly bitter beer.

Also, your mash temp is 155. That's HIGH. That means a FG more like 1.018 or so, if your system is like mine.

I wouldn't flinch at 100 IBU in a "session IPA" but 169 is out of hand. Also your hop schedule only has 1 flavor addition which isn't good practice for IPA's.

I would move the centennial and simcoe down to the 15 minute mark. See where that puts you for IBU's.

To dry it out that much you could add corn sugar like someone else said.

I actually have some "Centennial Type" in my freezer...

Maybe=

1oz Centennial Type @ 60
2 oz Homegrown Sterling/Centennial mix @ 10 (or @5)
Do you know if the alpha acid content on these homegrown hops is close to what you would buy? If not I would consider using them as flavor additions.

Here is where I am at:

HOME BREW RECIPE:

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.043
ABV (standard): 4.44%
IBU (tinseth): 59.83
SRM (morey): 5.46

FERMENTABLES:
2.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (26.3%)
0.5 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (5.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Centennial , Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 43.31
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 9.18
0.5 oz - Centennial , Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.92
0.5 oz - Sterling, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.41

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 1.5 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

YEAST:

Date: 2013-09-14 01:35 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2013-09-14 01:34 UTC

looks much better, tho i'd reduce the bittering add a bit more and you really should add a dry hop. are these homegrown hops dried? if not, you'll need about 5 times as much.

I would cut the 60 min addition down to .25 oz. move the cascade addition to 15mins along with .25 of centennial. then do 1 oz of centennial at 5 mins along with the sterling addition. that's going to cut your bitterness by a lot but you should have a great centennial flavor. if you think you'd like more bitterness adjust to .5 oz of centennial at 60 mins and add the difference to your 5 min addition.

Here is final final recipe...Thanks again for the tips. I like the way this looks.

"Boat Beer" is made by Carton Brewing out of Atlantic Highlands, NJ. Very hoppy, tasty, dry, session IPA- http://http://cartonbrewing.com/#!/boat-beer

HOME BREW RECIPE:

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.043
ABV (standard): 4.44%
IBU (tinseth): 55.5
SRM (morey): 5.46

FERMENTABLES:
2.5 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (26.3%)
0.5 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (5.3%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Centennial , Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.65
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 11.65
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 7.52
1 oz - Centennial , Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.85
1 oz - Sterling, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.83
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
0.5 oz - Centennial , Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 1.5 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

YEAST:

NOTES:
Mash @ 150 for 60 minutes in 36 cups/288oz/2.25 gallons water

Strike water @ 160

3.25 gallons sparge water (170)

Top up to 6.25 gallons in kettle...Boil down to 5 gallons.

Chill to 67 and pitch.

Date: 2013-09-14 13:43 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2013-09-14 13:43 UTC

looks much better. i would've still split hop additions to 60, 15 and 5. aim for ~30-40% at 60 and the rest from 15 and 5. leave in primary for 7 days, dry hop for 3-4 before bottling.

O.k., I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

I think that for such a low gravity beer, mashing at around 152,153 would be better. The FG will be a little higher, but it'll have better mouth feel. That's just a personal preference - but with a high IBU beer, the little bit of extra FG will go nicely with it. I agree with Yooper that 155 was too high, but I'd split the difference.

I would also throw in at least .5 - 1 ounce after the boil (at around 175degrees or so). This is an IPA, so you should have some hops in there that you haven't boiled the oils off of. This will round out your hop profile and give a very nice flavor and a bit of aroma, too.

O.k., I'll throw my 2 cents in here.

I think that for such a low gravity beer, mashing at around 152,153 would be better. The FG will be a little higher, but it'll have better mouth feel. That's just a personal preference - but with a high IBU beer, the little bit of extra FG will go nicely with it. I agree with Yooper that 155 was too high, but I'd split the difference.

I would also throw in at least .5 - 1 ounce after the boil (at around 175degrees or so). This is an IPA, so you should have some hops in there that you haven't boiled the oils off of. This will round out your hop profile and give a very nice flavor and a bit of aroma, too.
i agree with this as well. you don't want this to finish too high but a little sugar will be good for your hop flavor.

i usually dry hop when fermentation is nearly done. this way aromatics aren't burped off at the bucket. call me cheap..

I actually mash my Pale at 158 and use Golden Promise as the base malt just to get some more body into it. It is 4.5% with only a small bittering charge followed up by everything else at flame out with a 30 minute hop stand.

Please let us know how this turns out...I've had a few of the Carton Boat Ales, and enjoy them!

Nice bunch up at Carton Brewing, you could go there and I would think they would give you big hint or two.

The head brewer at Carton used to hang here on HBT, I believe his name was Jeremy aka HBT's Battery_BreweryNJ

Could try and shoot him a PM....

Just bottled this on Friday after dry hopping with centennial + cascade....

It's very bitter, and did not get aroma I thought I would get. Hopefully, things will come together after a few weeks in the bottle.

It's very bitter, and did not get aroma I thought I would get. Hopefully, things will come together after a few weeks in the bottle.

You'll never gain hop aroma after bottling, only lose it. I looked at Carton's website, and the "boat beer" they have listed isn't an IPA, it's a Kolsch. http://cartonbrewing.com/beer/boat-beer

So your recipe is interesting, but it's leagues away from this beer from the sound of it. Did they have a session IPA at one point? The IPA i see on their site is 7.8%.

EDIT: it looks like it's only using a kolsch yeast, but it's hoppy like an american pale. Ratebeer & Beeradvocate have it listed as an APA. So.. there you go. It's kinda like a hybrid style so far an I can tell.

Boat is fermented with Wyeast Koslch yeast as far as I know. This may have changed but when they first opened that is what they were using as they really felt the clean finish made the flavors pop. BDG was also fermented with the same Koslch strain, wyeast 2565. This was straight from Augie's mouth and I remember seeing the stickers from the yeast jugs stuck on the wall. Augie has also said he is not a fan of crystal malts so keep that in mind. And finally there water tends to be very Burton like and leaves that real mineral dryness on your tongue. Hope this helps if you attempt it again.

I gave this another shot yesterday based on this http://beerstainedletter.blogspot.com/2011/07/carton-brewing-fires-up-kettle-in-test.html?m=1 and Carton's website....I used Warrior and NZ Hallertau, cause' that what I had in the freezer. OG was a tad higher that I wanted (1.048), but what the hell. It's fermenting now at 60. Carton says 35 IBUs but I have no idea how that is with all the hops they use.

This seems to be much closer...Will keep everyone updated!

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Session Kolsch (Boat Beer)

Style Name: Kölsch
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.036
Efficiency: 50% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 4.92%
IBU (tinseth): 75.48
SRM (morey): 3.16

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - German - Pilsner (48.5%)
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Pilsen (36.4%)
1 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (12.1%)
0.25 lb - German - Vienna (3%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Warrior, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.45
1 oz - Hallertau (New Zealand), Type: Pellet, AA: 7.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 22.68
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 6.3, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 8.99
0.25 oz - Warrior, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.7, Use: Aroma for 10 min, IBU: 5.6
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 11.38
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 11.38
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Aroma for 0 min
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.5, Use: Aroma for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 90 min, Amount: 1.5 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirfloc, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast WLP029
Attenuation (custom): 83%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 65 - 69 F
Fermentation Temp: 60 F

Date: 2014-05-19 22:46 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2014-05-18 12:30 UTC

So just two backseat driver comments. First, is 5% still considered session? Second, how on earth are you only getting 50% brewhouse efficiency using DME?

So just two backseat driver comments. First, is 5% still considered session? Second, how on earth are you only getting 50% brewhouse efficiency using DME?

As stated, my OG was a bit high...I haven't played around with my efficiency, not sure how to calculate. I was shooting for 1.044/45, hit 1.048.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How did this turn out?

I've been researching and here is a possible extract recipe that gets us all the numbers, but who knows on the hop schedule. From what I found in a YouTube video, Augie says there are 8 different hops in it and 2 rounds of dry hopping. I know from some articles that they use Nugget and Galaxy for bittering and Citra, Cascade, Nugget & Galaxy for late addition/dry hopping. I would think Centennial is in there too. I found other articles where the head brewer Jesse was noted he used Kolsch 2565 as the yeast and it doesn't floc well. Jesse & Augie also noted that they use Atlantic Highlands city water and don't treat it except to push it through a carbon filter to remove chlorine and that the water is a bit higher in salt than typical water due to their close location to the ocean. In looking at an AG version, I'd go with German Pilser malt, 1lb or 2lbs of Michigan 2-row, leave the flaked wheat, but play with the Crystal malt to hit the right SRM. I read somewhere that Augie isn't keen on Crystal though.

Here's the extract recipe I'm playing with. I haven't brewed it myself yet though.

Attempted Carton Boat Beer Clone
OG=1.043, est FG=1.011 est ABV=4.23%
SRM:3.50 IBU=35

5gal target batch

Water:
7gal Poland Spring water(1.5gal lost to evaporation, .5gal lost to trub)

Steeping grains:
1lb Flaked wheat
.33lb Crystal 20L

Fermentables:
5.25lb Briess Pilsen Light DME

Boil Hops:
-60min 1oz Crystal
-60min .25oz Nugget
-5min .33 Galaxy

Irish Moss

Yeast:
Wyeast Kolsch 2565 smack pack with starter

Ferment in primary for 7-10 day. Move to secondary(CO2 purged keg)

Dry Hop 1 - Days 1-4(purge with CO2)
.5oz Citra
.5oz Cascade
.25oz Nugget

Dry Hop 2 - Days 5-8(Leave 1st dry hop batch in, add 2nd dry hop batch in, purge with CO2)
.5oz Citra
.5oz Cascade
.5oz Nugget

Cold crash 3 days

Transfer to serving keg, carb at 12PSI for at least 7 days.

Just had a #brewboner! :ban:

Augie responded to me on Untappd about the hops used:

augie c.: nug bitter, then all the cs through the boil cascade heavy, dry hop leans on citra and ammrillo​

Based on his feedback, I'm adjusting the recipe a bit.

Attempted Carton Boat Beer Clone
OG=1.044, est FG=1.011 est ABV=4.3%
SRM:3.50 IBU=37

5gal target batch

Water:
7gal Poland Spring water(1.5gal lost to evaporation, .5gal lost to trub)

Steeping grains:
1lb Flaked wheat
.66lb American Light American Munich Malt - 10L

Fermentables:
5.25lb Briess Pilsen Light DME

Boil Hops:
-60min .5oz Nugget
-5min 1oz Cascade
-5min .25oz Columbus
-5min .25oz Centennial

Irish Moss

Yeast:
Wyeast Kolsch 2565 smack pack with starter

Ferment in primary for 7-10 day. Move to secondary(CO2 purged keg)

Dry Hop 1 - Days 1-4(purge with CO2)
.5oz Citra (maybe 1oz??)
.5oz Amarillo

Dry Hop 2 - Days 5-8(Leave 1st dry hop batch in, add 2nd dry hop batch in, purge with CO2)
.5oz Citra
.5oz Amarillo

Cold crash 3 days

Transfer to serving keg, carb at 12PSI for at least 7 days.

I'll post results when I eventually do get to brewing this. Of course this makes me want to do it tomorrow.

Doesn't the Carton Brewing website state that the grains are all German? I would think Pilsner and Munich.

I had the Boat draught this summer down in Asbury Park at an awesome Cuban restaurant. I live in New England so was unfamiliar with the beer. The waiter told me it was a Pilsner. First sip told me otherwise, but I found the beer crisp, tasty and the hop aroma and flavor was amazing. It really was a balance between a summer ale, a Kölsch and a hoppy ale.

How did the recipe turn out?

It turned out great. So good the keg only lasted a few weeks. Untappd link

Attached is a side by side pic

I did add some gelatin to clear it out a bit when cold crashing it. I'm not sure how much it actually helped though.

I'm going to stick with this recipe going forward, but will probably double the dry hop amounts for each dry hop.

4d71ac5c13dfee443368d74cef43d5c0_640x640.jpg

Back