Session CDA Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I would like to cut back on my beer calories/alcohol a bit. I figured a low OG CDA might work.

Grain Bill:
7 lbs. 2-Row
1 lb Crystal 60
.5 lb Carafa III
.5 lb Chocolate Malt

Hops:
1 ounce Amarillo @ 15 minutes
1 ounce Cascade @ 15 minutes
1 ounce Amarillo @ 3 minutes
1 ounce Cascade @ 3 minutes
1 ounce Cascade Dry Hop

OG at 70% efficiency = 1.041
IBU = 25 (Tinseth)

Mash at 154
S-04 yeast, ferment in low 60's

Recipe Strategy:
-Mash high to make less fermentable
-Relatevely high ratio of specialty grains to base malt to add complexity/flavor
-Hop burst to add flavor but avoid too much bitterness for a small grain bill

Please let me know what you think! Thanks.

This looks a lot like the session CDA I've got in primary right as we speak! Cool. I like that all of your hop additions come late in the boil. I did almost the same exact thing, except that I'm currently experimenting with hop stands after flameout.

Have you considered adding the Carafa III towards the end of the mash? I was initially hesitant about doing this, but in the end I'm happy I did. I believe that CDA's should have a little roastiness, to set themselves apart from regular IPA, but I think you'll get plenty of roasty goodness from the half pound of chocolate malt. In fact, I only used a few oz. of chocolate malt, but balanced some of my Crystal 60L with Caraaroma. C120 would be fine too. Even though I added the Carafa III right before mash out, I still got all the color I needed from it. Just some food for thought. Your way might even be better for cramming maximum flavor into a lower alcohol beer. Hard to say.

Unfortunately, my session CDA still has a ways to go before it's ready, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Happy brewing!

I think it's too much crystal, as it might end up cloying instead of quaffable, especially if you mash at a high temperature. I think it's too much chocolate malt as well, and will have quite a bit of roastiness with that much.

I'd probably use some Munich malt for a strong malt backbone, and decrease the other specialty grains.

Back