Serving with free Co2 idea.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZhomebrew

Reaction score
Hi,

I am newly registered to this forum however I have been lurking for a few years.

I am toying with an idea and just wanted to get another couple of opinions to see if it may work. This idea maybe have been tried before but I can't find anything in the search.

My idea is as follows:
1. Ferment in a corny keg
2. Connect the gas in post from the fermentation keg into the gas in post for a second keg (Co2 keg) with a check valve in between . The Co2 produced from fermentation will transfer into the second keg. I believe that kegs are rated to 130psi so can handle a decent amount.
3. Transfer the beer into the serving keg once fermentation is complete.
3. Connect a gas line with a regulator in between from the Co2 keg to the serving keg and use the Co2 keg to carbonate/serve the beer.

I guess it all comes down to how much Co2 is produced during fermentation however my reaserch indicates it is a decent amount.

It may not work but possibly worth a try.

Thoughts?

image.jpg

You need some kind of pump in your setup because even with a one way valve you are still only going to equalize the pressure between the two tanks and that much CO2 pressure is going to stall fermentation. Your idea is good in principal but lacking in for sight. And yes it is not clean CO2.

Why not just get a CO2 tank? I am not sure but I would think any saving of CO2 would be minimal.

What about the other gases like hydrogen sulfide that are produced during fermentation? Wouldn't you be putting those back into your beer?

Good point, i didn't think of that. It was just an idea but seems easier to stick with the usual Co2 bottle.

Google "Brewery CO2 recovery" there are already cart mounted recovery and liquifaction systems available for small scale. Study those and you might be able to aisle engineer your own application.

Back