Serebrianka SMASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I just got some serebrianka hops, and want to do a SMASH to highlight the hops.

Hop profile:
Alpha Acid: 2.3%
Aroma hop with a light perfume, mellow, elegant, subtle, gentle, almost tobacco like smell

I'm looking for a OG around 1.04
ABV% around 4%

Grain to glass in 6 weeks (bottle conditioned)

Looking for the best grain choice to showcase the hops
Also IBU level, I'm thinking around 35 IBU (2oz at 60, 1oz at 30, 1 oz at flameout)

Clean ale yeast (Cry Havoc, or US 05) fermented at 65 degrees

I'm of the opinion that you can't go wrong with a SMaSH using Maris Otter, I've heard good things about Optic too, but they don't carry Optic at any LHBS, I have to order it online. When you're talking about grain though it all comes down to personal preference, or if you're shooting for a specific SRM, what lovibond your grain is can and will have a significant impact on the color. There was a great article on the front page of HBT not too long ago about English base malt comparison by the user ndrice. It's extensive and a very easy read, you can't go wrong taking a look at it.

I was worried Maris Otter would have too much 'flavor' and let not let the hops shine.

You may want to go with just a pilsen malt then, they're very light and delicate, and will contribute less flavor than most other malts. Most of them are between 1.7 and 2.0 lovibond so it will be light in color too. It works best for beers that it sounds like you want - relatively low alcohol content, not a lot of body, little malt flavor after fermentation. for a 5 gallon batch, you'd be using about 7.5 lbs for a 5 gallon batch, since it contributes 37 points/gallon.

Thank for the help!
Pilsen was the top of my list actually. I mainly wanted others opinions because don't care for Pilsners, and think it's due to the malt.

Made this Friday, using German Pilsner malt and whole leaf serebrianka hops.
Will report back with tasting notes when it's done.

Back