Seoul Food

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkseven

Reaction score
I've been in Seoul Korea now for a little over a year, and seeing as I am on a brewing hiatus while here I figured I would share with you my second hobby......FOOD!!!

This is a what is called a Pojangmacha or literally "covered wagon". They are all over the city, any where where people gather you will find them. This one is near the Yeouido Ferry along the Han River.

Pojangmacha (Street Vendor).jpg

This little delicacy is Beondegi...boiled silk worm pupae or as i like to call them "bugs". They are definitely an acquired taste and the odor of them cooking can knock you down. Regardless they are a very popular snack.

Beondegi (Silk Worm Pupae).jpg

From what I can find out these are called Water Snails, pretty tasty.

Water Snails.jpg

This is Tteobokki which is a cylindrical, doughy rice cake cooked in a red pepper sauce. This is one of the mainstays of all street vendor offerings. Many of the vendors have a small counter in front of their stalls or plastic tables and chairs. So you will see folks standing at the counter or at the tables eating this or Odeng (fish cake) as a quick snack while going about their business.

Street Side Tteokbokki.jpg

More pics of Korean delicacies to follow as I have more time to post them...

Oh man I miss the beef bulgogi from the last time I was in Korea, keep up the good work.

i want to go to korea so bad, i've gotten a fair amount of dishes through my (korean) mother in-law when she's visited...rice cake soup, korean pancakes etc... i would be a fat f-ck over there lol

Was stationed in Korea 75-77. While the Bundingy(sp?) was just ok, no seriously they are horrible, you have to find the cart that sells the steamed mussles. Those things are incredible.
Also look for the local Sogogi shop, Pork. They usually have a setup in the back where you can sit down and grill your own. My favorite was a big platter of thin sliced garlic and chili marinated pork hearts, lungs, kidneys and liver.
For a late night snack there are stalls that sell deep fried fish, shrimp and mojo potatos and onion rings. Sometimes questionable as to the oil they were using, I think it may have been old filtered GI hydraulic oil. Thats ok tho, the generous portion of sea salt took care of that.

It is my understanding that the sauce for Tteobokki is actually a fermented product, and contains malt powder. Maybe you can't brew beer, but you could ferment pepper sauce!

Continuing with the street vendors pics. As you can see a great mix of treats, Korean style corn dogs, meat on a stick, hardboiled eggs and ramen cups.

Street Vendor II.jpg

This is a street vendor in the fish market located near the Haeundae beach area in the port city of Busan. The piles of yellowish items in the picture are Twigim (Fried Snacks). Twigim are batter-dipped items that include vegetables of various kinds, meat, seafood, kimbap - just about anything that batter can adhere to. If you are familiar with Japanese cuisine you would probably call it tempura.

Busan-011.jpg

Speaking of Twigim...heres a great place right outside of the Gongdeok Subway Station in Seoul that is very famous for Jeon (Korean Pancake) and Twigim. On a busy night, you’ll most definitely have to wait in line to get some of their delicious jeon and twigim. When it’s your turn to be seated, grab a basket and start picking all the jeon and twigim you want. Hand the basket to the ajumma and receive your fried goods minutes later!

Twigum.jpg

Here is a classic example of Haemul Pajeon (Green Onion/Scallion Pancake with seafood)!!

Attachments

• Pajeon (Green Onion Pancake).jpg
    Pajeon (Green Onion Pancake).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 78
Back