Semi-Pro Setup Preferences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SphereX

Reaction score
So without going into too much detail, I myself, don't personally own any homebrewing equipment. I have co-piloted numerous brews with a friend, and understand how you "brew beer". To me.. it's not too different from cooking, which I'm quite good at. I have an understanding of what needs to happen, and what can affect those results. I'm informed, if you will. Now, for the purpose of this post:

I'm in the market for an entire setup. Everything, literally. I'm stubborn, so everything must be new. Bottom line is I'm going for "excellent equipment". It doesn't have to be top of the line, thousands of dollars equipment, but I'm at the very least talking about stainless steel. Aside from the obvious brew kettle, I'm also talking about stainless mash tun, and conical fermenter. I've done extensive research, and while I've been able to rule a few options out, I still cannot come to a decision. I've been looking at SS Brewtech, Spike Brewing, Chapman, Megapot, and a few others.. I'm not interested in getting thousand+ dollar blichmann equipment. With all that being said.. what do people prefer? I'm sure this has been discussed, but to be quite honest, not only did I never fully master the forum search, I also never seemed to find the information I was searching for in doing so. Therefor, I'm relying on the mercy of the annoyed reader to just offer their advice, instead of some snarky comment about reading through the forums and finding the information that was given X amount of time ago, and by no means outdated.
Again, I'm in the market for an entire All-grain setup. Any and all suggestions and preferences are appreciated. I'll still read the snarky comments; probably even laugh (or cry).

If you're looking for a complete 'buy one, cry once' system we might have a solution for you. Shoot us an email and we can send you more info. [email protected]

eHERMS System.jpg

I really like the system Spike Brewing posted. If I have the $$ I would be looking for something like that.

As to what you need you will have to look at a lot of options. Most of us have cobbled pieces together over several to many years. Some have brewed for decades with pretty basic equipment.

A couple of emails to Spike, SSBrewtech should get you some full rig options. I don't think Chapman, Megapots etc. cover the whole system, just pots etc.

I'm typically not a fan of one vendor selling you everything you need, (personal preference, I'm frugal that way). However, since you are starting from nothing, and want a high end brewery, I'd say go ahead and give Spike a try and let them do their thing. At the very least, you'll have a great likelihood of VIP-level support in the future if you buy everything they've got.

I hate to be an internet cheerleader but Spike makes quality stuff...

2016-06-26%2011_10_19.jpg

along with Duda Diesel, BrewHardware, and NorCal Brewing...

Nice rig. But you might want to explain to the OP why you have SSBrewtech and Blichmann gear accompanying the Spike stuff.

Simple. Spike doesn't make anything smaller than a 10 gallon, I wanted a 5 gallon lauter grant and ss made a 5.5 kettle that looks similar to the spike. The spike kettles are worlds nicer though. The blichmann is a hop rocket. Again spike doesn't make a hop rocket or anything similar. Otherwise I would have it. I have seen every kettle on the market personally and in my opinion the spike kettles are the best. Fully customizable quality sanitary welded. Professional quality at a homebrew price.

I've got a mix of spike and Ss, if you want custom welded pots, Spike can hook you up, but it's hard to beat Ss 's insulated mashtun, I've got the 20 gal, and it's awesome, my brother even drools over it!

I've got a mix of spike and Ss, if you want custom welded pots, Spike can hook you up, but it's hard to beat Ss 's insulated mashtun, I've got the 20 gal, and it's awesome, my brother even drools over it!

.....I've got a brother who has a mix of Spike and SS... he's got a SS Insulated 20 gal mash tun that I drool over...

Gary?

For someone that wants a one stop shop for an entire setup I'd talk with brewmation.com! They source their stainless from Stout Kettles which are top notch with a ton of features. They build you a controller based on your specs and can even give you room to grow. They'll even take care of all the cold side too if you're looking for a glycol system. It's who I would go through if I didn't enjoy the build so much and had the cash! Just my 2¢.

If you're looking for a complete 'buy one, cry once' system we might have a solution for you. Shoot us an email and we can send you more info. [email protected]

Just curious, how much does something like this cost? Does it only run off of 220?

To the OP, what type of system are you looking for? Fully automated, BIAB, 3 vessel rig, electric, gas? There are so many options available!

So far, All the talk has been hotside. Don't forget to plan the cold side. I have SS fementers with temp controls, a 14 gallon and 2 Brew buckets. They are a good value, a few annoyances for sure but overall, I would buy them again. I am in the market, for another 14 gallon and I'm eagerly awaiting Spike's conical release.

I also have the 20 gallon SS mashtun, does the job well, pretty thing too. I have both BrewBuilt and SS 20 gallon kettle sitting on my top tier. Love the top tier. For me, I wouldn't do the weldless kettles again.

13872801_1737425989828898_6263120308068382847_n.jpg

Back