Self Priming Pump issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leblais

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an issue with oxygenation and foaming when I am transferring my fermented beer into kegs using a self priming pump.

Here is the one I just bought:
http://morewinemaking.com/products/...gm-pump.html?gclid=CMqgoIH2lMcCFZIWHwodT64BYw

With this pre-filter:
http://morewinemaking.com/products/pre-filter.html

So.. it works fairly well (its a little on the fast side and it doesnt like to be slowed down or else it ends up starting and stopping constantly). But it is adding soo much air that the beer is actually foaming tight little bubbles. I can see in the prefilter that it looks like it may be happening there.

Has anyone run into this issue and if so, how have you solved it.

Any input is appreciated!

It may not be adding air (assuming everything is sealed tight) but rather pulling residual CO2 out of solution. Any restriction that induces a pressure drop (such as the prefilter) is a strong candidate for doing just that as the pump with pull suction. Assuming everything is sealed, there is little harm actually occurring to the beer (possibly some volatile aromas may get knocked out) - so if a prefilter is neccesary, there isn't much that can be down.

That style of pump (diaphragm) is a fixed displacement style pump and can't be slowed down unless you have a method of slowing the motor of the pump. restricting the outflow simply raises the pressure until the limit switch is hit (where it shuts off until the pressure drops) - that's why they are generally rated in terms of GPM, with this one being 3 gallons a minute.

WOW!! Thanks for that bit of info. So perhaps the tight foaming bubbles on top are not really an issue but just the CO2 -- NICE! I think they recommend the prefilter to avoid damage to the pump.
I had a router speed controller that I wanted to use with it but it didnt work :(

It may not be adding air (assuming everything is sealed tight) but rather pulling residual CO2 out of solution. Any restriction that induces a pressure drop (such as the prefilter) is a strong candidate for doing just that as the pump with pull suction. Assuming everything is sealed, there is little harm actually occurring to the beer (possibly some volatile aromas may get knocked out) - so if a prefilter is neccesary, there isn't much that can be down.

That style of pump (diaphragm) is a fixed displacement style pump and can't be slowed down unless you have a method of slowing the motor of the pump. restricting the outflow simply raises the pressure until the limit switch is hit (where it shuts off until the pressure drops) - that's why they are generally rated in terms of GPM, with this one being 3 gallons a minute.

Back