seeking stronger flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdawson9

Reaction score
I'm an extract brewer who brews really good beer IMHO. Especially hoppy beer. But when it comes to malt complexity, I feel I lack bold flavor. Especially in a side by side comp to a clone.
I've always read that distilled water works best for extract brew. But does that include steeping grains???
I'm trying to pinpoint why the malt doesn't shine thru and actually seems weak at times. Any thoughts on water in stweping and mini mash best practices? ??
Thanks a ton!

Have you considered starting with partial mash? Once you start in that direction you could incorporate some specialty grains like aromatic malt that could give the malt some pop. Munich and Vienna malts will also increase your malt backbone for just about any kind of beer. I'm not into the hop bombs that most brewers are into so I'm also always looking for strong malt character. What kind of extract do you typically use?

Hoppy beers tend to be less malty, bitter competes with sweet. I think it is Designing Great Beers that talks about Gravity Units (maltiness) vs Bittering Units (hopiness) and different styles with different balances between the two.

I prefer a more balanced, less "west coast" IPA, a little more copper, a little less hoppy.

The great benefit of homebrewing is being able to create a recipe perfect for your unique style.

Distilled water is just fine, actually optimal, for extract brews.

You may want to up your steeping grains, maybe it is graniness rather than maltiness that is lacking.

Look into partial mash, so you can add some maltier grains, like Aromatic, Biscuit, Melanoidin, etc, all will provide a more maltier finish.

Do not use distilled water. It is devoid of any minerals, and not good for the yeast.

for me I find Crystal 60 to be my secret weapon. gives some swweetness to help off set a little of the bitterness and usually comes out copper color. I guess you would have to post a recipe and ask for a maltyer tweak to the recipe. I also agree mini mashes help .

Mix up your base extract in your recipe go 50/50 using light or golden extract and munich or rye. You could also switch to Marris Otter extract vs golden/light.

My last IPA was Munich / Golden Extract and Crystal 10, 40 and very hoppy but still had a good malt base to it using just Cal Ale yeast.

Back