Seeking info about Siechen beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glockentalk

Reaction score
I’m trying to find out about a Nuremberg beer called Siechen. Here is a description:

The beer, when it at last arrived, was like nothing I had ever tasted, and I have been searching for its like ever since. The head was dense, halfway to whipped cream. The beer that slid its way under that dense head, was heavy, almost syrupy in the mouth. Cool rather than iced, it was. And the flavor was as rich and complex as a $50 claret. My usually rowdy fellow sailors became silent as they sipped the beer. No one could chug it. It was too heavy. And there was no temptation. This was not something to throw past the tonsils like aspirin. This was a meal in a glass. No one wanted more than two steins of the beer. It took too long to drink. Splendid stuff…. The beer was from Nuremberg, I believe, and it was called Tucher Siechen. It completely changed my understanding of beer. It remains my benchmark of beer. I have never seen it in the United States. I will never forget it.-- "Fresh Beer Here" / Albert Pyle. In Cincinnati Magazine Vol. 22, No. 2 (November 1988), p. 106.​

The brewery was located in Nuremburg, but the beer was sold throughout Germany. It was produced by Reif, which was bought out by Tucher, who discontinued Siechen in 1985.

I’m guessing that Siechen was close to a Munich dunkel. I would appreciate any help on finding out more about this beer, including suggestions for recreating it.

Have you tried contacting Tucher to see if they might be willing to share any information on the beer? Considering it is a beer no longer produced, they might be willing to share some some details about the beer, especially if you could speak with a brewmaster. Just my first thought.

:mug:

Back