Seeing fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
How important is watching fermentation activity for you?

When I first started brewing I used one gallon glass jugs then moved to some gifted 3 and 5 gallon glass carboys. I got used to seeing the development of the yeast tsunami and krausen development. My wife harasses me that I check on my beer more than I checked on our sleeping kids 30 years ago.

I've wanted a larger fermenter (6.5 gallon) but one that was safer and easier to handle than glass even with the carboy.net carriers I've been using (they are nice). So with a gift card burning a hole in my pocket I've been considering a stainless steel fermenting bucket. Now I realize I won't get to "see" the fermentation. So I've been trying out some batches in a plastic brew bucket to see if I can handle "blind fermentation". It's going well (love the bucket handles) and I may just stick with the plastic buckets for a while before going with stainless. I realize this is stupid but wondered if anyone else is reassured by watching the fermentation in a clear carboy.

I recently switched to a fermonster for fermenting. This comes after over 30 batches in plastic buckets. I really like being able to see what is going on. I will still use buckets when my fermonsters are full but would like to replace all my buckets with see through plastic eventually.

I've switched from glass big mouths to all SS brewtech buckets. Although I do love them (easy to clean, great seal, really easy pressure transfer to kegs, light and thermowell for my inkbird) I cant lie and say I don't miss checking up on them fermenting away every few hours. Although the bubbles coming off my blow off are enough for me to know fermentation's kicked off, I do miss watching the krausen grow and the yeast flying about.

For me seeing fermentation, while fun, is less important than being able to see the last bits of beer when racking to my kegs. I like to get every last drop of beer and no yeast cake, it’s a fine line that seems difficult to nail without visual aid.

For me seeing fermentation, while fun, is less important than being able to see the last bits of beer when racking to my kegs. I like to get every last drop of beer and no yeast cake, it’s a fine line that seems difficult to nail without visual aid.
This is very true. Luckily the SS brew buckets have rotating racking arms on the spigot. I just give it a twist whilst emptying into my keg until I feel a bit of resistance from the trub. Usually manage to get pretty much all the beer I can with minimal transfer of trub. Of course though, It was easier when using glass.

Latest posts

Back