Sedimentary my dear Watson

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satoshi

Bitcoin OG
Reaction score
I've collected the sediment from a banana fermentation, keep it, use it, if so what for? Etc..

Attachments

• 20230819_205614.jpg
    20230819_205614.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
yeast is a living organism , it has reproduced , used the sugar for food thereby making alcohol and settled to the bottom of the fermentor to enter a dormant phase waiting to be put in the next batch ... But ALL the sediment is not yeast ... there will be pulp and such which you may or may not want in your next batch.
If you want more banana wine it's as easy as dumping it into the next batch . That being said unless you took care with sanitation and kept the slurry cool in fridge there is a chance of spoilage / wild yeasts etc. with long term storage , use it soon .Good luck

This is really interesting, so I shouldn't need to add more yeast? Though run the risk of it not fermenting??

There should be boatloads of viable yeast in the bottom of your banana fermenter. If you collected it in a sanitary way and stored it well (closed container in fridge), it has an excellent chance of vigorous fermentation in your next batch. It will likely also bring some flavor from the banana batch.

There should be boatloads of viable yeast in the bottom of your banana fermenter. If you collected it in a sanitary way and stored it well (closed container in fridge), it has an excellent chance of vigorous fermentation in your next batch. It will likely also bring some flavor from the banana batch.
Will definitely give it a try.
You sound quite experienced, do you have any suggestions why as to my ferment could cause headaches?? I don't mean next morning 😆 literally soon after having a glass, presuming it's not something else causing it..

Will definitely give it a try.
You sound quite experienced, do you have any suggestions why as to my ferment could cause headaches?? I don't mean next morning 😆 literally soon after having a glass, presuming it's not something else causing it..
Immediate headaches could be the effects of the presence of fusel alcohol produced from a high temperature fermentation or poisonous methanol as suggested by @dmtaylor in a reply to a comment of yours in a different thread.

high temperature fermentation
This is correct and worrisome. Fermentation temperature control can be a huge benefit to quality.

If you cannot provide a cool fermentation environment, you may want to try yeasts bred for higher temperatures. I've only done that once, using Imperial's new Mangosteeni variety.

I would not drink beers or wines that produce quick headaches. Avoiding excessive driving and consequent hangovers is a different subject, though at my age I also don't do that any more😑

Edit: excessive drinking

Last edited:
This is correct and worrisome. Fermentation temperature control can be a huge benefit to quality.

If you cannot provide a cool fermentation environment, you may want to try yeasts bred for higher temperatures. I've only done that once, using Imperial's new Mangosteeni variety.

I would not drink beers or wines that produce quick headaches. Avoiding excessive driving and consequent hangovers is a different subject, though at my age I also don't do that any more😑
The learning from all of you is so appreciated 🤙🏼💯

Even if methanol is not the culprit, OP's headaches seem to be caused by the brew. Fusel alcohols are suspects. Some are sensitive to sulfites. Any other possibilities?

I really have no idea 😆 I'm learning as I go, this is my first brew, the help on here is absolutely awesome 👍
Even if methanol is not the culprit, OP's headaches seem to be caused by the brew. Fusel alcohols are suspects. Some are sensitive to sulfites. Any other possibilities?

Latest posts

Back