sediment in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Fuzz

Reaction score
Just finished boiling, and there is a bunch of sediment. Do I just dump everything into my primary once it is cool, or should I rack off the wort and leave the sediment behind?

+1 It will all eventually settle at the bottom as longs as you aren't too ancy when it comes for the beer to be bottled or secondaried.

It doesn't bother me, I was just wondering since I used to make kits and they were always sediment free. I brewed this recipe once before, and dumped it all in the primary. When I racked to secondary there was a thick (2 or 3 inch) layer of sediment left behind. So I was just wondering if it had tasty stuff for the yeast, and benefited by being left in the primary, or could be the reason why my first batch came out cloudy and is better to get rid of earlier in the process.

I just dump it all. For cloudy beer, try some irish moss, finings, or gelatin - or just let the beer sit longer in the fermenter. So many people seem in such a huge rush to bottle in X days after brewing!

I did use irish moss; the recipe called for 1/4 tsp, should I use more? I left it in the primary for 2 weeks, and secondary for 2 weeks. It has been in the bottle for 3.5 weeks now, and still cloudy. Doesn't bother to me much. Its a gluten free recipe, so maybe the sorghum and rice is the big issue.

It might clear up some more... but it may very well not. Ingreditents might be the issue, I'll let people who really know what they are talking about comment to that.

OK, well thanks for the answer on the original question. Will keep the sediment with the primary.

last night i brewed up a one gallon kit. this morning there is a 2 inch thick layer of fine silt at the bottom of the glass jug. 2 weeks from now when i go to fill my 12 oz bottles i should not siphon the silt, i should leave it behind, correct? if i do then i will have less than a gallon of beer. seems to me i should remove the silt now and pour in water to raise the wort level up to one full gallon. will someone please advise me on this? tx much, rob

Latest posts

Back