Sedementation & Separation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did it look like that before you started racking? A week could be a bit quick to finish up fermentation - what was the OG and FG?

The bottom is obviously trub and it looks like you dumped the whole kettle into the carboy. The top 2 layers have me confused...

What was your recipe and basic process?

Its a 3gallon carboy with an imperial stout at 11%. OG-1.135, FG-1.050 crashed it to below 40' after fermentation. Basic russian imperial stout recipe. Electric Brew in a bag with double mash. 2.5hr boil & a 2L yeast starter

That is really bizarre! Other than that, I got nothin.

Can you pull SG samples from the two top layers, and report back? Tasting notes on the separate layers would also be interesting.

Brew on :mug:

Although I don't think it would separate and not just mix evenly, but did you use a blowoff tube during cold crashing? Suck up a lot of star sanz or something?

what happens if you swirl it all up? does it seperate back out?

btw 1.050 is going to be undrinkable.

Although I don't think it would separate and not just mix evenly, but did you use a blowoff tube during cold crashing? Suck up a lot of star sanz or something?

Now that's a possibility. Especially with the large headspace involved.

Brew on :mug:

Back