Security issues associated with smart TV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH-

Oh-
Reaction score
I am looking for security issues associated with Smart TVs and other smart devices. If anybody here faced any security issues related with these kind of devices please share :tank:

I am looking for security issues associated with Smart TVs and other smart devices. If anybody here faced any security issues related with these kind of devices please share :tank:

Care to elaborate, or just looking for unrelated stories?

Nothing I do or watch is that interesting for anyone spying. That being said id be just as worried about everything if I was worried at all ie. Phones,tablets, computers, Apple TV, android boxes, routers, thermostats, home controllers. And then you have software to worry about too. I just keep stuff updated and hope for the best lol!

image.jpeg

I can't point you to specifics, but here are a few security topics you could research related directly to Smart TV security:
- OS - usually some derivative of Linux, Android or other off the shelf OS
- Language Framework - if the devices use Java, QT or another language chances are they're not using the latest framework with security fixes
- Internet of Things - Smart TVs are yet another device being thrown on the network
- Wireless security - most Smart TVs are connected wirelessly which makes man in the middle attacks easier to accomplish, especially with some of the weaknesses discovered in WEP and WPA

FYI - I'm in Information Security and these are the points that immediately popped into my head

I can't point you to specifics, but here are a few security topics you could research related directly to Smart TV security:
- OS - usually some derivative of Linux, Android or other off the shelf OS
- Language Framework - if the devices use Java, QT or another language chances are they're not using the latest framework with security fixes
- Internet of Things - Smart TVs are yet another device being thrown on the network
- Wireless security - most Smart TVs are connected wirelessly which makes man in the middle attacks easier to accomplish, especially with some of the weaknesses discovered in WEP and WPA

FYI - I'm in Information Security and these are the points that immediately popped into my head

I know OS derived from Linux kernels are Comparatively safe(Can't count Android for this)
as you Said FYI I got these things after a short research
IOT- Some embedded IOT's referring to online shopping and business deals may possess some zero-day exploits and it can breach the integrity of the system. I am not sure about, maybe such thing exists.
As you said the man in the middle attacks can easily get our data. The thing is that most of the existing systems are also vulnerable to such attacks. I found this article regarding security concerns with smart TV and this one is very informative to smart tv users .
Please add up some tips, hope you can help us

I'm pretty sure smart TVs are responsible for my cat's increased activity at night. I suspect that somehow (see note below) the TV is exciting the cat. I think it's "OFF", but the TV's really still thinking and calculating, and doing stuff. I can't receive the waves, but my cat can. Dogs have noses that are super-sensitive. Cats pick up TV signals. I saw that on Dr. Oz or something.

* I am not a TV expert, or cat expert. This is conjecture. Your mileage may vary. Stunt drivers on a closed track. Don't try this at home!

I don't know what's worse, someone finding out what I'm watching, or someone finding out what I'm doing...

But when it comes to online shopping and social networking sites it will matter, Especially y in the case of women who were always 'motivated" in shopping.

:mug:

I'm pretty sure smart TVs are responsible for my cat's increased activity at night. I suspect that somehow (see note below) the TV is exciting the cat. I think it's "OFF", but the TV's really still thinking and calculating, and doing stuff. I can't receive the waves, but my cat can. Dogs have noses that are super-sensitive. Cats pick up TV signals. I saw that on Dr. Oz or something.

* I am not a TV expert, or cat expert. This is conjecture. Your mileage may vary. Stunt drivers on a closed track. Don't try this at home!

:mug::mug:

ha. ha.. Most probably you cat belongs to the category of Schrödinger's cat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat

Back