Secondary Regulator Broken?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgonzo2k2

Really Awesome User
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey gang, looking for some advice. Today I put a new keg in the kegerator and was cranking up the pressure on one of my secondary regulators to burst carbonate the beer. Somewhere between 40-45 PSI the regulator made a "ping" noise, and now it doesn't seem to regulate the pressure any longer. It just matches whatever my primary regulator is at.

So if I set my primary to 30 PSI and purge the pressure, the secondary will go to 30, no matter how much I turn it down.

If I turn my primary down to 10 PSI and purge the pressure, the secondary will go to 10.

Etc.

What could be wrong here?

Is it possible the regulator spring snapped?
You'll have to depressurize the system and remove the regulator bonnet to find out, but that's about the only thing I can think of that would "ping" and leave the regulator wide open...

[edit] No, that's exactly backwards. If the spring snapped the reg would close tight.
So, either a blown diaphragm or the pin valve went to Heaven...

Cheers!

Back