Secondary question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlassen

chefkevshomebrew
Reaction score
So I added cherries to secondary two weeks ago. Im fixin to bottle it today or tomorrow. Do you think it should sit longer or is two weeks ample time?
Thanks y'all

I'd measure and compare to FG before you added the fruit. But it should be done after two weeks.

I didn't check the gravity before I racked it over. It was in primary for about a month. I tasted it and its good. Not too much cherry flavor though. Will sitting longer develop more flavor? I'm going to let it bottle condition till the fall before I crack them open.

I didn't check the gravity before I racked it over. It was in primary for about a month. I tasted it and its good. Not too much cherry flavor though. Will sitting longer develop more flavor? I'm going to let it bottle condition till the fall before I crack them open.

From what I read, it will not gain much more flavor after two weeks. I also brewed one like that -not much cherry flavor, but it is a favorite among my kids. Just enough cherry to notice. Mine bottle conditioned for just about 2 weeks - it was great then and has been great since then after two months. It should get somewhat better.

After two weeks its likely done. Only way to know is to check gravity now and again in another 2-3 days and if its stable, it's done. You won't get much more flavor out of the cherries at this point either. How much did you use? I'd recommend about 1 lb per gallon for a noticeable presence. The cherry flavor is going to be strongest now and will likely mellow and blend with the other malt/hop/yeast flavors as it bottle conditions.

i used 3 pounds of frozen cherries and simmered them to concentrate the flavor. had i not of reduced the liquid that extracted from them it wuld have been close to 3 quarts and that would have prolly "watered" it down. i brewed a stout a year ago and added whiskey to it and the mouth feel was too watery and i didnt want to do that again.

thanks yall for the comments.. i will bottle it today and let it sit for 6 months and then enjoy them.

Back