Secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjasghar

Reaction score
So i transfered from my primary to my secondary....

everything looked ok.... but i came by the next day (yesterday) and it was all bubbily and even had gotten into the air lock.

should i be worried? should i wait another week? do i need to rack it again?

......help.....

:eek:

Don't worry! The racking might have just kicked up some yeasties and some co2 off-gassing. It should settle down quickly. If it's still doing it in a couple of days, then you can worry. There's no need to rack it again.

Never rely on airlocks or the presence of bubbles in your beer to provide reliable information. Trust your hydrometer instead. That is the only safe way to know whether fermentation is complete.

I would guess that the bubbles and airlock activity you are seeing is just CO2 gas that is coming out of solution when you racked (typical). But it could be that you roused some yeast and re-started a stalled fermentation (less common). Knowing your gravity is the only way to be certain what is going on.

FlyGuy said:
Never rely on airlocks or the presence of bubbles in your beer to provide reliable information. Trust your hydrometer instead. That is the only safe way to know whether fermentation is complete.

I would guess that the bubbles and airlock activity you are seeing is just CO2 gas that is coming out of solution when you racked (typical). But it could be that you roused some yeast and re-started a stalled fermentation (less common). Knowing your gravity is the only way to be certain what is going on.

I think it would even be possible to see airlock activity if you had a strong, fast moving low pressure weather system over head.

Experiment: next time there is a hurricane coming ashore, load up the carboy and head for the coast.

jjasghar said:
all bubbily and even had gotten into the air lock.

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but that sounds to me like a blow off, beer getting into the airlock. What are you using for a secondary and how full is it?

Roterdrache said:
Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but that sounds to me like a blow off, beer getting into the airlock. What are you using for a secondary and how full is it?

yeah i think the term is blow off. It just never happend before. I was worried that i had transfered too early or something along those lines.

The bubbles are the tan color and it seems that it was so bubbly that it got up into the air lock.

As most here have already pointed out the only way to really know what's going on is take a hydro reading and compare it to your OG. I do have a few questions though that might help answer why it did this.

What were you brewing, what's the recipe?
Were there any late extract additions?
How long was the beer in the primary?
What kind of fermentation activity did you see in the primary? (Massive blowoff followed by steady rapid bubbling, just steady rapid bubbling, steady but slow bubbling, etc.)
Is your secondary full to the top or is there headspace?

Back