Secondary opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makilio

Reaction score
Hello, I made a thread yesterday about this question but now it is not here and I am redirected to a unrelated thread, so maybe it is a mistake and I will ask again. Sorry if there is mistake for this.

I made my second batch of cider, using apple juice, brown sugar and champagne yeast (I do not have the type with me right now, but it is not important for this I think). Primary was good, many bubbles, about 3 weeks or so now. Flavor is OK, but it is still very alcohol-strong and rough. I am not sure how to do a good option for secondary so the flavor gets more smooth, so I made some bottles and put them in the refrigerator to continue, but not all (yet). Should I bottle and store the rest in there? Or another option? I am still very nervous about bottle-bombs so I felt cold was the best option.

Also, one extra question. I think next batch I will not add sugar. I have heard different things. In my country many options are more limited so maybe this is the challenge, but I have apple juice with out the chemicals but should the juice also have sugar in it before or should I add some extra?

Thank you.

Pretty much the same recipe I started out with. I looked back at my notes - FG @0.996. You should get something close if it's finished. Check it now and then again in a week. If the SG hasn't changed you can then add priming sugar and bottle for carbonation if you want.

I wouldn't add the sugar again. The harsh alcohol flavor may not go away. Or it will take a long time to age out? I didn't wait with mine. I quickly stopped adding sugar and never used champagne yeast again. I suggest nottingham or cote des blancs yeast if you can get it. Should get better results. Of course, get the best juice you can (it shouldn't have extra sugar added).

Yes, but I just got it, so I do not have original gravity.

The hydrometer will tell you if the ferment is done and if there's any risk of bottle bombs. Even without the original gravity number it's still very useful to know. Typically we let the cider complete its primary then rack to secondary for clearing before bottling.

Adding sugar only adds alcohol, and the more alcohol the longer it takes to age before it'll taste good. You can't really undo that now. And some people (myself included) think that fermented brown sugar tastes like crap.

A typical cider without added sugar is 5.5-6.5% ABV, so no need for added sugar.

I agree with the others. Don't add any extra sugar for now. In the future, after you've made a few successful batches, you can try it, but I think you'll be happy with the cider you can make with just juice and yeast.

I use frozen concentrate to increase ABV. I usually make 1 gal batches, using 2 cans per. That gives me about 8 or 9%, and a really good apple taste. It is very drinkable young. It probably would get better in 8-10 months, but I never let it wait that long :)

Welcome Makilio!
Whatever you do with your cider, DON'T bottle it until you are sure that it is finished fermenting. At 3 weeks fermenting, you're probably OK, but now that you have one, use your hydrometer. 2 or 3 stable readings over a 4-7 day time is safe insurance. In my experience, cider does have a way of stopping, taking a break and then starting up again. The only time in 6+ years I've had bottle bombs, it was with a cider.
I personally always use a secondary with my ciders. Not so much with my beers. I want my ciders to be absolutely clear and a secondary does that best. A secondary (I prefer the term 'cold conditioning' unless I'm adding more fermentables) can be as simple as transferring to another bucket for a week or two, or racking to a glass carboy for 6 months or more.
I also like my ciders/grafs carbonated. After the cold conditioning, I bottle with 1 or 2 cans of frozen apple juice. I always bottle one in a plastic soda bottle, squeezing out the air. When that bottle is firm, then it's carbonated, and I chill it and crack it open. If it's where I want it to be, I cooler pasteurize the batch to stop it where it is.
That's my techniques. Many others on the forum have other methods. This is a great place to learn!

@JimRausch how do you cooler pasteurize?
There's a thread on it somewhere in the cider section of the forum (Nightshade or Nighthawk was the originator), but here's my technique:
1. Put the bottles in a cooler and add hot tap water to prewarm. Usually fill to the neck.
2. In meantime heat about 3-4 G water to 170-175.
3. Drain the tap water and add the hot water. Close the cover and leave it alone. 10 minutes at 170 is supposed to be good, but if I'm busy with something else, or lazy, or taking a nap, I might leave them in until they cool down naturally.
Results: no change in flavor(ie. no 'cooked flavor'). Carbonated , cidery goodness. I have had an occasional blow/leak in the cooler, but it's rare.

Back