Secondary for Cream Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a Cream stout that has been in the primary for 2 weeks at 63 degrees F and I am going to take another gravity reading today to see if it has dropped anymore since tuesday. Is it necessary to do an additional 2 weeks in a secondary? my plan is to rack the beer into a secondary fermenter, cold crash it for 2 days at about 40 degrees F, and then transfer into my Keg and carbonate. Is there any risk of getting off flavors in my beer like diacetyl from the process i described above? I used S-05 for my cream stout and I know this yeast has a good flocculation rate.

Cheers

Rob

There's no real reason to move that to a secondary. All you'd be doing is increasing the risk of oxidation.

Leave it in the primary. Bump the temp up to 68-70*F and hold it there 4-5 days. Chico strain (US-05, 001, 1056, BRY-97) can produce some diacetyl. Finishing it warmer like that will help to eliminate it.

After that, crash it in the primary. I'd go longer than 2 days though at 40*F. 5-7 days would provide better clarity.

There's no real reason to move that to a secondary. All you'd be doing is increasing the risk of oxidation.

Leave it in the primary. Bump the temp up to 68-70*F and hold it there 4-5 days. Chico strain (US-05, 001, 1056, BRY-97) can produce some diacetyl. Finishing it warmer like that will help to eliminate it.

After that, crash it in the primary. I'd go longer than 2 days though at 40*F. 5-7 days would provide better clarity.

Yep. Right on. Absolutely.

For a beer like that, I think sitting in the primary is a good choice. I haven't always thought that and I still secondary lighter ales (sometimes), but a little warm in the primary will help that one.

Cheers!

Back