Secondary for a Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quixoticosis

Reaction score
I've got my first barleywine in the fermentor now, and it's ready to go... somewhere else. I don't normally use a secondary, but I was considering it for this brew to bulk age for a couple of months.

Will this brew really benefit from bulk aging, or should I just bottle it now and let it age there? And, if I do secondary it, what should I be adding for yeast when it comes time to bottle?

I usually do bulk aging for my annual barleywine for six months at least. I also add oak soaked in some kind of spirit to keep the beer company.

After the six months I bottle it and gradually drink it for the next 8 to 10 months. So some of it ages in the bottles too.

I have never just gone straight to the bottle, though. In my opinion, a five gallon carboy takes up less space than a bunch of bottles.

I also used to add champagne yeast top the secondary; thinking ti would continue to ferment. I've learned here that that step is unnecessary. I will still add the champagne yeast when it comes time to bottle. That's what I use for bottle conditioning.

Thanks! I hadn't even considered the spirit-soaked oak... that's a fantastic idea.

I too age my barley wine for at least a few months in secondary. Last time I soaked an oak honeycomb in rye whiskey and then put it in the carboy for a couple weeks before bottling. I did not add any additional yeast at bottling but still got good carbonation.

+1 on the bulk aging. Just did a batch with my friend and we're aging it for six months with whiskey soaked oak (and will then age it in the bottles for another 3 months)

Latest posts

Back