Secondary Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_O

Reaction score
OK, so I hope I don't offend anyone with my idiocy but I have a question regarding secondary fermentation. After all there's no stupid questions right!..

I know secondary fermentation is a thing that many brewers do to acheieve a better clarity to the beer.

My first ever brew, I seived the beer from the fermenter (after the 2 weeks) into a bottling bucket before instantly bottling the beer, hoping this would help with the clairty.

Unknown be known to me at the time, this is deemed as a big no no as it allegedly takes the yeast out of the beer, which will have an effect on the carbonation.

In the end the beer was actually absolutely fine and carbonated well.

Does secondary fermentation not have this same effect? (taking the yeast out of the beer, effecting the carbonation).

It is actually NOT deemed a big no-no to bottle from the primary without using a secondary; au contraire - it is the most common, best practice to do it that way. Yeast are not taken away from the beer in enough number to affect carbonation. It worked fine for you because it works fine, period. Whoever told you otherwise is incorrect (profoundly so).

Have a gander around HBT and you'll see that secondary fermenters are very loudly, strongly discouraged by nearly all of the experienced home brewers on the forum.

P.S. Using a sieve to transfer to the bottling bucket is a big no-no because it oxidizes your carefully fermented beer. Never do that. Instead, rack with a siphon or a spigot and tubing, trying hard not to introduce oxygen to the beer.

[QUOTE="Jack_O, post: 9037972, member: 295433"

Does secondary fermentation not have this same effect? (taking the yeast out of the beer, effecting the carbonation).
[/QUOTE]

No, enough yeast remains if doing a secondary, fining with gelatin to carbonate in the bottle.

You are doing a secondary to get the beer of the trub/dead yeast, etc.

I think the op is confused about what a secondary is.

When you transfer beer to a bottle bucket to prime then bottle that isn't doing secondaries. The process of secondary is when you rack your beer into a clean fv to sit . This practice isn't beneficial unless your storing for a long time .

A good tip of getting clearer beer in your bottles is to leave beer in your fv longer before you bottle. Whirfloc helps as well.

Back