Secondary fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilT

Reaction score
I have been all-grain brewing since day 1 and have about a half dozen batches under my belt. I last posted about brewing efficiency and got some great advice and hoping to get the same with this question. All of my fermenting has been done in a glass 5 gallon carboy, but most of my batches are only a couple of gallons. I put it in a dark walk in closet and the temperature is always 68-70 degrees. I let them ferment for two full weeks, sometimes a day or two extra. After that I prime and bottle, and leave for an additional two weeks.

I have read several posts on here about secondary fermenting, and the purposes seem to be mainly for clarity of the beer, and for other flavor and dry hopping purposes. I have a 2 gallon batch of an american brown ale that has been fermenting for 8 days, and the main fermenting was done by about day 4. Would it be to any advantage at all to rack it to another carboy and let it sit for the last week in a secondary fermenter? I have a 3 gallon carboy that I could put it in that would limit the oxygen to it. I have read that oxygen can have an effect on things as well.

Long story short, I'm a little confused on if/when I should use a secondary fermenter, and the proper way to do it so that I don't mess up an batches of beer. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't know if beer type may change the answer also. I'm getting ready to brew a stout and an IPA. I also brew Belgian Wit beers, brown ales and porters.

Some people use secondaries routinely, others, myself included, do not. Personally, I don't see a difference in clarity and I would rather not move a beer unless I had a reason to. For me, most of beers stay in primary for 2-4 weeks and then I bottle. The only time I use a secondary is when I am lagering or bulk aging or adding fruit, oak, or Brett. For the beers you mentioned, I see no reason to use a secondary (not even for dry hopping the IPA).

Back