Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveareno

Reaction score
I have instructions for a southern pecan clone recipe that I brewed and the instructions tell me to ferment for 5-7 days and then transfer to a secondary fermenter for 5-7 more days. I am now on day 8 and it is still bubbling. I'm a little leery to transfer to secondary while it is still active. Any advice is appreciated.

I have instructions for a southern pecan clone recipe that I brewed and the instructions tell me to ferment for 5-7 days and then transfer to a secondary fermenter for 5-7 more days. I am now on day 8 and it is still bubbling. I'm a little leery to transfer to secondary while it is still active. Any advice is appreciated.

Leave it be. Many say secondary isn’t necessary and can even be detrimental to your beer because oxidation. I’ve racked to secondary a few times and haven’t seen much difference other than a slightly clear beer.

So depends on you. You don’t have to follow the instructions to a tee, you need to figure out what works for you and how you brew.

I’m still learning, brewing for about 2-2 1/2 years... I have a long way to go... but I’ve come a long way from my first batch. I know people who have been brewing for 30+ years. They make great beer, but they’re still learning.

Don’t do it.

I only use a secondary if there’s a clear need like I need the yeast cake, aging or adding something weird even then i’m adding more stuff to a primary. There’s too much risk and not enough gain to using a secondary in most beers. Risk of infection, oxidation, loss of beer because you’ll want to drink it strait from the fermenter.

Plus you’ll have to clean all the stuff.

Like others have said... There is no need to transfer and better reasons not to transfer.

Something not mentioned so far... Bubbles are NOT a great indicator of continued activity. Bubbles may continue for extended periods of time for reasons other than continued fermentation. Likewise, no bubbles doesn't mean there is not fermentation occurring.

I steeped the pecans in with the grains. I'm thinking that maybe I should have added them to the boil for the whole time. I'll see how this turns out.

I steeped the pecans in with the grains. I'm thinking that maybe I should have added them to the boil for the whole time. I'll see how this turns out.
Yeah, I doubt you'd find any trace of those pour pecans with that method.

Best it to add them after fermentation, either crushed by themselves or better, by means of a tincture, steeped in Vodka or grain alcohol for 1-2 weeks while the beer ferments. Flavor is still very subtle, unless you add a pound (or 2) to 5 gallons, but then the amount of oils can cause problems in your beer if the nuts or pecan flour have not been de-oiled.

IMO, the best way to integrate those kind of nuts into beer is serving them on the side. Chew one, drink some beer. Rinse and repeat.
Or use a really good natural extract, but they all taste somewhat artificial.

Secondary's are to turn into Primaries so you can have two batches going at the same time...LOL 10 days should be good for most yeast(s) Final Gravity will let you know about bottling or Kegging.
The beer should be (as you prob know) be pretty much NO activity, no foam, clear for whatever color you brewed. I few foam Co2 bubbles floating is fine, but your airlock should be dead, before 'thinking' about testing. I like to brew in a primary that has a spigot so I can draw (if i care too) to measure and watch for a 1009-1012.

Secondary's are to turn into Primaries so you can have two batches going at the same time...LOL 10 days should be good for most yeast(s) Final Gravity will let you know about bottling or Kegging.
The beer should be (as you prob know) be pretty much NO activity, no foam, clear for whatever color you brewed. I few foam Co2 bubbles floating is fine, but your airlock should be dead, before 'thinking' about testing. I like to brew in a primary that has a spigot so I can draw (if i care too) to measure and watch for a 1009-1012.

Many would suggest that a secondary be smaller in volume than the primary to leave very little dead space when the beer is racked to it. Primaries need more head space so if using a 5 gallon carboy for primary you would need to make a smaller batch of beer or suffer a lot of blowoff. I think the 5 gallon carboys are better used to ferment a batch of cider, mead, or wine as those do not raise a large krausen like beer.

Why are you quoting me? No one stated that a secondary is necessarily 5 gal...He could always use a blow off and make a 4.5 if it were....Prob just a stronger beer for not diluting to bring to 5gal if that were the case...LOL.
AGAIN No need for secondary, I'd rather wait longer, rack off a primary and stay away from the cake then to rack, wait and still stay away from the cake in secondary after trying to clear it, there is always a fining agent as well.(would not bother for beer)
I use a 30micron filter like you see for 1st stage h20 filters and my bottles have barely a pinch of yeast or hops at the bottom, more like next to nothin and those are the last 12 filled. Especially since I have been brewing with a nylon bag for the grain and small ones for the hops.

southern pecan is one of my favorites , Rogue makes a great hazelnut brown as well. I'd love to see your recipe .
Ive only done a secondary once for my toasted coconut chocolate coffee porter. It did raise a second kraeusen because the coconut added sugars back to the active fermentation. I added a blowoff tube. it turned out ok, not as coconutty as I had hoped but still a good beer,sometimes I get a slight coconut flavor , most times I dont. more recipe issue than process. as long as you keep your transfer without creating too much aeration and you practice good cleaning and sanitization you should be fine.
I would suggest a gravity check before you transfer.

Soulshine2 - This is only my second batch. I'm extract for now. I used 6.6lb Amber Malt Extract, 12oz Crystal 40L, 12oz Crystal 80L, 8oz German Carapils, and 8oz German Dark Wheat. 0.75oz Tettnang 60 mins, 1oz Tettnang 10 mins. Belgian S-33 Yeast. I tasted it when I took a sample to test. Tastes good so far. I'll probably bottle tonight or tomorrow after I test again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back