Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolves63

Reaction score
I have been one that always does a secondary to get my beer off the old yeast. Recently I have been doing a bit of research and there is a lot of opinion out there that the secondary isn't something that is as important for shorter fermentation times. My question is what is the max time that would be acceptable to keep the beer on the yeast in a primary to avoid a secondary. The general wording that I have found is for longer conditioning make sure to still use a secondary, but when does that point start?

From what Ive read and what Ive done is no more secondary. Wheat beers 10 days and kegged, ales 2 week then kegged. The longest I have left an ale on the yeast was 21 days. I entered it into a competition and the judges picked up it. Not sure how but they did so I would say in between 17 days. As for lagers, Ive read, heard, and doing now 3 weeks on the yeast. I think with lagers since its fermented at low temps 3 weeks isnt unheard of some darker lagered beers maybe longer. Hope this kind of helps.

I keg my beer and consider that my secondary. I have a short dip tube that sits about 2 inches from the bottom. I condition my beer with this keg then transfer leaving about a beer or two left and all the yeast on the bottom. This cleans it up and improves my clarity. If you bottle condition regardless you will have residue on the bottom.

There really is no rule for time, my question is what's your concern?

If you only primary, the beer reaches final gravity, clears then package it! What else would you be waiting any longer for?

Just about every beer I brew, ales, are grain to glass in about 21 days.

Lagers are longer and lager in secondary usually. Really the only other times I use a secondary vessel is fruit, oak, spices or bulk conditioning beers over 9% that need it:)

Sent from the Commune

I left a brown ale in the primary for 9 weeks and I liked how it came out. Another brewer claimed that his beer he left in the primary for 8 months was just fine. I don't think there is a real limit on it. Good sanitation and keep the airlock full.

It also has a lot to do with the style of beer. My sours stay in primary for 30 days before I transfer them to long storage and secondary fermentation. Of course, these are true secondary fermentations as they are getting dosed with bacteria and fruit and are going to ferment over the course of 12-18 months.

I am doing a Scottish ale with smoked malt and it needs time to mellow out. Brew day made me think I was drinking liquid smoke, so I want to keep it in the primary for 4 weeks, then keg it. I just wanted to make sure there really wasn't any risk of autolyse or at least it was minimal.

Back