Secondary Fermentation With Blackberry Puree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBottle

Reaction score
Hey All,

The last few trips to the brew store has gotten me intrigued on the purees. I picked up a 3lb can of blackberry puree today and put it in the secondary with some cider that just fermented out. It sure changed the color...

Does anyone here have any experience with using purees in cider? I'm curious how it compares to using fresh fruit.

Thanks
-Matt

WP_20141128_19_38_52_Pro.jpg

Well at least there shouldn't be any bacterial concerns

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did u get purée from the LHBS?

I've been using canned pie filling but would rather use just fruit.

How big and how much $?

Used them in my beers with good results, have yet to put any in a cider, but I imagine the results would be good as well. What brand of puree did you used?

I'm hoping so. The brand is called "Vinters Harvest"

Did u get purée from the LHBS?

I've been using canned pie filling but would rather use just fruit.

How big and how much $?

Yup I did. It was 23 bucks for 49oz. So not real cheap. I had never thought about pie filling. That's pretty clever.

Great color, will probably be yummy too. Is that a 3 gallon carboy?

Thank you! The purée was very thin so it didn't have a problem blending in with the cider. It's actually a 5 gallon. I think the crate makes it a little deceiving.

I'm hoping so. The brand is called "Vinters Harvest"

Yup I did. It was 23 bucks for 49oz. So not real cheap. I had never thought about pie filling. That's pretty clever.

Thank you! The purée was very thin so it didn't have a problem blending in with the cider. It's actually a 5 gallon. I think the crate makes it a little deceiving.

Oh my! That is expensive. I pay less than that for 5 gal. fresh pressed juice. I think I'll stick with the pie filling. I try to keep the cost under $1/bottle.

I'll be interested in this. I've wanted to do the same thing with blueberry. I thought that 3# in 5 gal might be too much though. You did 3# in 3 gal?

Back