Secondary fermentation that won’t quit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.Freeman

Reaction score
I know that airlock activity isn’t a reliable indicator of when fermentation is complete but that seams to be when guys are trying to bottle after 10 days. I have a cider that I added pomegranate juice (I racked onto in secondary) that just won’t quit bubbling, albeit very slow (and another with peach nectar). I’m talking about a bubble every 15-20 minutes through s-lock. I added fruit in a few other jugs with this same batch and they finished in a few weeks. I used safcider yeast in primary. The Pom has been in secondary since the middle of April, 4 months now. I thought this would have been bottled and drank a long time ago.
I am tempted to prime and bottle it but it is still pretty cloudy which makes me think there is still a lot of yeast in suspension and working. Should I cold crash and rack?? Prime and bottle and store is a cooler in case of bombs? Let it ride a while longer?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Monitoring specific gravity will tell you when yeast fermentation is complete.

It's plausible you have MLF going on, in which case you can either add sulfite to be sure it's stopped or monitor pH to know when it's finished.

Monitoring bubbles will drive you crazy and nothing more.

Cheers

Gravity is stable and has been for some time. The peach is cleared up nicely but still has a bubble every now and then in s-lock. The cloudy pomegranate is mostly my concern.
I’m not familiar with MLF??? Can the cider still be bottle carbed if sulfates are added?

Since gravity is stable you're ok to bottle. Consider adding some fresh yeast when priming.

MLF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malolactic_fermentation

Can the cider still be bottle carbed if sulfates are added?
Yes.
Sulfite (not to be confused with sulfate or sulfide) inhibits the bacteria responsible for MLF.
Sulfite does not inhibit the yeast.

Use finings if you want it clear.

I'd be worried about oxidation if you have it sitting that long without sulfite and/or aggressive headspace reduction and temperature control.

Back