Secondary fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superstorm

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I'm making a honey wheat ale from a recipe that I found on here. The recipe says to transfer to another carboy for secondary fermentation. I've never done that before and have always just done secondary in the same carboy, but I kinda want to do that this time because there is a lot of sediment. I was wondering if it's ok to leave out the sediment when transferring to secondary, or if it's needed for further fermentation. And do you just rack the beer into a second carboy and replaced the airlock, or do you need to do anything else?

dont do a secondary. This notion is outdated back from when we didnt have access to good healthy yeast. Nowadays, you can leave it on the yeast cake for months without any bad effects. Leaving it will actually help it clean up byproducts faster. Plus, you risk oxidation and infection by transferring. Just leave it

You can do a secondary if you want to. Many do, although many choose not to as well.

If you are going to do it, rack it "quietly" to a new sanitized carboy. Keep the tubing curled around the bottom of the receiving carboy so that it fills from the bottom. You want to avoid oxygenating the beer.

You want to avoid the sediment on the bottom. So I start my siphon above the trub line and gently lower the racking cane as the level of the beer falls. When you start sucking up sediment, you're done. It's handy to tip the carboy in the place where you're racking the night before, by sticking a wedge or a phone book or something under one side. That way, much of the sediment is towards one side to make it easier to get more beer and less trub when you get near the bottom.

Latest posts

Back