secondary fermentation in cornie keg - airlock needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning on racking to my secondary today, which is a cornie, but got me to thinking, do I need an airlock? I know the fermentation is about done, no more bubbling in my primary airlock but just a bit curious if sitting in a cornie for 1-2 weeks will build up enough pressure to create a problem?

No, you don't need an airlock. Secondaries really aren't fermentations...they are clearing and conditioning.

If the do ferment a bit in the corney then they will hold that pressure and slightly carb the beer. Either way you're fine.

I do use an airlock..I attach a hose to an out fitting, and put the open end in a jar of sanitized water. I think it improves the flavors in my lagers, but that's just my opinion. YMMV.

I'd not use an airlock but release pressure now and then. Secondaries still ferment and produce CO2 - if you put a spunding valve on you won't have to worry about it and can start the carb process off - if not even fully carb it all like the Germans do, all without priming sugars or force carbing. I normally do this on all brews, unless I get lazy and don't have the corny cleaned and prepped.

whether or not to worry about pressure depends on how close you are to your final gravity.

I've never used an airlock or release valve when I use a cornie as a secondary. You should not be getting much pressure build up as typically the beers are transferred after fermentation is complete so there is not much for the yeast to eat and then release CO2.

Latest posts

Back