Secondary / Bulk aging temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calypso

Reaction score
I'm aging a Russian imperial stout for a couple of months in secondary. Does it really matter what temperature I keep it at this point? It's currently sitting in a closet at about 75F.

Some will say yes other will say no. At 75 degrees in your closet will speed up the aging process. If there was any oxygen introduced into your beer could lead to some oxidation notes, however, in a big beer like a RIS these notes could be desired and make it taste even better adds a little character to it. If you age your beer at 65 or 55 or 45 the cooler the temp the longer it takes for it to age. Its been my experience with young beers that need to age and setting them out at room temp for several weeks they tend to age quicker as to sitting at 35 degrees. I also keg so it make it easy for me to purge O2 out.

So, with all this said its fine sitting there if you are kegging it you can secondary in a keg if not no biggy you RIS should be fine.

I wouldn't say that oxidation is ever desired apart from maybe old ale or biere de garde, but it certainly can be acceptable for big beers designed to age. I wouldn't want any in my RIS. Once the beer is done though, it's unlikely to improve a ton with aging- I would get it in the bottle and let it age there. That way you can pull a bottle every once in a while, cool it down, and see how the batch is coming.

...that means I get to drink it sooner. I'm pro-that.

By all means, drink some now, but try to save a case or so and let it age for a year or more. Drink a bottle every month or two. RIS should get even better over time. I bottled an Expedition Stout clone a couple weeks ago to give away for Christmas gifts. I'm going to taste one in a few weeks, and let the rest sit. Or at least that's the plan...

Latest posts

Back