secondary at 80 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrew77

Reaction score
I plan on moving my honey weizen to the secondary in the next couple days. Mainly because I am going out of town and won't be able to switch out frozen water bottles to keep the temp down. Will it be an issue to secondary when the temp is 80?

Well... I say it a lot on here but I'll say it again:

Secondary is unnecessary with the exception of a few beer styles. You're making a beer that is not only meant to be enjoyed early but also meant to have some yeast floating around (unless you're going for more of a kristalweiss.)

In my humble opinion, I'd say as long as your at a stable final gravity just bottle or keg it.

Technically it should be fine if fermentation is done. But its a beer ment to be drank young. Or if it is done bottle it and drink it when you come home.

low temp is better.
If it has to be high and there is no way to to deal with it, the secondary is better.

You have a bunch of options here; let it ride out in the primary b/c a little more time won't hurt, rack to the secondary if you really want to, bottle or keg. If you bottle/keg you will be able to drink it sooner.

low temp is better.

Doesn't really matter after fermentation is done. The worst that's going to happen is the warmer temps will cause CO2 off-gassing which could scrub out some aromas.

Why would it be okay for the secondary to be warmer but not the primary, even if fermentation is done?

the secondary has no trub or cake, just yeast in suspension and clearing so temp is less important.
yes wheats need to clear, there is a difference between haze and yeasty muck.

Latest posts

Back