Second Try IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallP313

Reaction score
So, following some advice I read here on this forum I made another stab at an IPA on Sunday. I wanted to keep things fairly simple. I did have a couple of .5 oz hop bags lying around, so I used them up for bittering. But the biggest addition was at the end.

10 lbs M.O.
3 lbs. belgian pilsner
.75 lbs of Dark munich

.5 oz columbus @ 70 min
.5 oz centennial @ 70 min
4 oz Citra @ 5 min
1 oz Cascade @ 5min

tsp irish moss

made a starter with WLP001

dry hop after 7 days, thinking 2oz cascade and 1oz citra, any opinions on this?

OG 1.068, I may add a little sugar when I dry hop to dry it out a bit more.

:mug:

Don't add any more sugar if you're dropping out the yeast and dryhopping.

2 oz. Cascade and 1 oz. Citra dryhop seems good.

Take your 4 oz of Citra at 5 and do 1 oz at 20, 10, 5, and 0. it will create depth in your hop presence.

Thanks guys. beerkrump, I already brewed this batch 2 days ago, but i will keep that in the back of my mind for next time.
bobbrews, I wasn't planning on a secondary. Unless there is a reason you strongly suggest it.

You need hops in the 20-10 minute range for hop flavor. Personally I'd rather hop big at 15 and 10 and just dry hop for aroma. Your not getting much flavor at 5 min.

I just brewed an IPA and did 1oz of Cascade and 1oz of Simcoe every 5 mins starting at 20 mins until flame out and it smells amazing. Just racked to the secondary and dry hopped with 3oz of Citra. Keg this weekend...wish I could dive into the fermenter and swim around.

bobbrews, I wasn't planning on a secondary. Unless there is a reason you strongly suggest it.

Secondary is not required. You can dryhop in the primary, but adding sugar at this point is kind of absurd since you already have a clear beer full of alcohol.

I just brewed an IPA and did 1oz of Cascade and 1oz of Simcoe every 5 mins starting at 20 mins until flame out and it smells amazing. Just racked to the secondary and dry hopped with 3oz of Citra. Keg this weekend...wish I could dive into the fermenter and swim around.

I can smell the hops through the airlock. couldn't agree with you more!

Secondary is not required. You can dryhop in the primary, but adding sugar at this point is kind of absurd since you already have a clear beer full of alcohol.

Yea I figured as much, was an afterthought I was pondering. I did mash on the low side around 145, then raised the temp a bit. Should be sufficiently dry.

Latest posts

Back