Second Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewhite1217

Reaction score
I am brewing an Oaked Russian Imperial Stout kit and was supposed to put the oak in 3 days into fermentation and leave it in the primary for 10 days. (at which point the kit wanted me to bottle) I totally spaced putting the oak in the primary, which I left the batch in for 2 weeks, and didn't realize my mistake until I moved the batch to my secondary. I put the oak in the carboy at that point. I am now approaching 10 days that the oak has been in the secondary. I was planning on bottling after 14 days in the secondary. I am wondering what I should do about the oak. Should I just let the oak sit in the secondary for the additional 4 days, and bottle when ready, or will my beer taste like a campfire? Should I rack to another carboy for the remainder of the secondary period (and maybe extend it to 3-4 weeks)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Taste it now and see how it is. If the oak flavor isn't enough you can leave it on the oak for longer, if it is just right I would bottle immediately. My guess is it won't hurt to leave it on the oak longer.

I think that timeline is really fast for a RIS, let alone a Oaked RIS. It honestly takes a month(s)+ to begin to get any character out of the oak unless you are using oak chips. I would forget about this brew for another month or two. Sample it along the way and see where it is. If it taste the way you want it then bottle. I would not have a "set" timeline because be beers take along time to mature, especially when adding oak or other flavors.

It is oak powder, if that makes any difference. I was actually planning on letting it age in the bottle till next x-mas time, if I can control myself. Is leaving it in secondary for a few more months and then boggling for the rest of the duration the best way to go?

Thanks for the answers already

It is oak powder, if that makes any difference. I was actually planning on letting it age in the bottle till next x-mas time, if I can control myself. Is leaving it in secondary for a few more months and then boggling for the rest of the duration the best way to go?

Thanks for the answers already

No, you can bottle it whenever you'd like. The oak powder will give up its oak pretty quickly, but it probably won't be more oaky in 4 days than it is right now.

Back