Second pitch with safebrew t-58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franzy

Reaction score
I made a 8.5% (hopefully) ipa with 8.5 ounces of hops (I got a little too excited) . I used safale 05 for the pitch. Thinking of using the safebrew t-58 for a second pitch....

Suggestions, comments, ideas?

I've only used T58 once, it didn't seem to ferment nearly as vigorously as US05. I think the 05 would finish out before the t58 got a chance to work its phenolic magic.

PeteNMA said:
Why not pitch more S-05?

Also considered it, but I just have extras of the T-58. Thought it might add an interesting Belgian flavor for the strong hoppiness it has.

SynthesisError said:
I've only used T58 once, it didn't seem to ferment nearly as vigorously as US05. I think the 05 would finish out before the t58 got a chance to work its phenolic magic.

Was the pepper flavor strong with it?

Was the pepper flavor strong with it?

It wasn't very peppery, the spiciness came through more as a clove or anise flavor. I only had 3 oz of hops in my recipe, though, and it was barely discernable. You may not be able to notice it with that much hop (assuming a 5gal batch).

My T-58 fermented ale (still in the bucket at the moment clearing) doesn't have a peppery taste, it's more towards a ginger/anise edge, and I specifically fermented it warm to bring out the esters.

PeteNMA said:
My T-58 fermented ale (still in the bucket at the moment clearing) doesn't have a peppery taste, it's more towards a ginger/anise edge, and I specifically fermented it warm to bring out the esters.

That's for the info. I'm just going to save it for a different batch. Guess I'll plan a Belgian ipa

Back