Second (or third...maybe?) Brew - Belgian Strong Ale from AHS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasHos

Reaction score
Hello again, everyone! Just brewed my second batch last night, and I'm already pretty pumped with all the changes made from my first batch. (Oh, I've also got Ed Wort's Apfelwein in a carboy....not sure if that counts as "brewing", though...:D)

If anyone checked out my first brew, you know I made a few noob mistakes. The biggest one being, boiling the wort for like 2 hours:smack: This time, though, I'm pretty sure I won. I upgraded to propane, for one, and did a full volume boil. I will NEVER doubt the power of propane again. 5 gallons boiling in less than 30 minutes, I love it!

I also did late additions. I put in 5 lbs of extra light DME at the beginning, and then the rest (only 3 lbs) at the last 5 minutes of the boil. It looks sooooo different doing it this way. It was a beautiful golden color. I also used a hop bag for my hop additions, and whirlfloc as well.

Oh and I remembered to take a gravity reading, too. OG came in at 1.072. I tossed in two packs of Wyeast 1388 while the wort was at about 72. The only thing I didn't do was make a starter, but I figured I had two packs of yeast, so I should be good....right? Put my mind at ease, guys!

As far as temp control goes, I can't really justify the purchase of an expensive freezer/cooler with a digital controller to SWMBO right now, especially with Christmas coming up, and I've got three kids who think Santa just has endless funds. So what I did was I took this trash can, probably 50 gallons or so, put enough water to go up to the 5 gallon mark on my fermentor, and threw some frozen water bottles in there. I'll be monitoring the temp and replacing the bottles as needed.

Oh, one final change, instead of using my tap water, I used distilled water because I've read on here that the extract should already have minerals and such in it from the water they used. Man, I am REALLY excited about this one! :ban:

Oh yeah, I should note that the temps are low to mid 60's. Is this too low for 1388 or Belgian Strong's in general?

Per Wyeast's website, optimal Temperature Range for 1388 is 64-80° F (18-27° C). Your starting temp should be fine. I'd probably let it free rise after fermentation starts.

As for a starter, it kind of depends on the "use by date". Assuming it was pretty fresh, Mr. Malty seems to be recommending around 2.7 packs for that OG. That said, I tend to slightly under pitch most of my Belgian beers...usually helps to develop that "Belgian" character that I'm after.

Why, thank you for the input, sir! When you say you'd let it rise after fermentation starts, you mean like....a day or two?

Soooo, I've got insane crazy fermentation. In fact, it's coming up the airlock! Any suggestions? Can I even do a blow off tube with a bucket? Is it fine to leave it alone? It's got Starsan in it. Any help is appreciated.

As long as the temp doesn't get above 80F, I'd let it go as high as it wants...so don't add ice unless it approaches 80F.

Go with the blowoff hose. It keeps things from getting messy/nasty.

Microbus, you sir, are awesome. Thanks for replying so fast. Blow off is installed and krauesen started coming through almost immediately. It's sitting at about 72ish right now. I don't really expect it to get much higher, even in AZ.

Hello! Not really an update, but I need to post this so I'll remember it later. Brewed another IPA yesterday. Hop Bomb 2.0 from AHS. Man, those guys are awesome. OG came in at 1.080. I really need to get a brew log.

DasHos, still brewing? I to in SV and brewed my first batch this weekend. Curious how you're doing, and where you get your stuff from?

DasHos, still brewing? I to in SV and brewed my first batch this weekend. Curious how you're doing, and where you get your stuff from?

Hey Jim! Good to see a fellow Sierra...Vistan? Yeah still brewing. I'm hooked. I'm starting to think about AG, but not quite ready to take the plunge. I get most of my stuff from Austin Homebrew. There is a LHBS nearby in Bisbee. It's called A Pint Or Two. It's a nice store and they've got a very decent selection of yeast and hops. Not sure about their grains or extracts because I am still using recipe kits and haven't quite figured out how to come up with my own recipes.

Figured I'd chime in here...it's been a while. I bottled my Belgian about a week ago. I've gotta say, if you haven't checked out Revvy's bottling thread, GO NOW! Not a single drop was wasted. Also, the FG came in at 1.010. That's like, really good, right? The sample tasted pretty darn good, too.

DasHos, sorry I hadn't checked back in a while... the season has been hectic. Yes I was aware of a pint or two. I have been going there for a few months now. This last week I concocted a double hopped wheat beer and is currently in the primary. So far the community has been great, met guys who have shown me the way, guys who have donated equipment, and guys that even grow hops here in SV... If you wanted to test yours vs a westvletern 12, I have a few.

Back