Second keg to suddenly go bad.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
Ok this is the second time I've come to pour a pint and its been completely different to what it was a few days ago.

How long would an infection take to take hold at around 10*C?
Both beers sat in the keg for a good couple of weeks before being attached to the taps. Then they had a good month of pouring maybe 1-2 pints every other night. Then I got terrible toothache, didnt pour anything for around 6 days, just went to have one and it tastes really off! Difficult to describe the taste, its a wit beer and now has a wierd... almost bittering taste to it.

Now I have perlick taps and thought that beer in the beer line would still be in a closed system so it wouldnt be that? And im sure i sanitise my kegs well enough, I even took this one completely apart and cleaned before kegging.

its just annoying as I have a party to go to this weekend and was planning on taking a load of this! but now its not so great!

Maybe plastic leaching from the lines? What kind of beverage lines are you using? You could try pouring out an ounce or two, then tasting what comes after that.

This may sound silly....you mentioned you had a toothache... did you have a work done? If so..has the flavor of anything else changed for the better or worse....ie are you "tasteing" more intensely.

If so....there my not be anything wrong with your set up....just your mouth getting use to what ever was done.

I do wonder this because you mentioned it tasted bitter, which happens to me after dental work...things taste bitter and metallic to me for a about a week.

It could be residual effects from the toothache/medication. I had an infection a couple months ago and it was about 2 weeks before beer tasted normal to me again. Have you had anyone else try it? Maybe your taste buds have just gone wacky?

I have been on medication, but the flavour has not changed as much as now has an extra aftertaste.
I poured some out and then tried it and it was not as promminent, but still there. My beer line is standard beer line, used in bars (where I got some) so don't think that would be the problem.
I'm just hoping it is my taste and not the beer.
Maybe being a wheat beer, it just changes as it conditions and I need to drink it faster?

I plan to brew it again, and bottle half and see what happens. If it turns out to be my keg, I will have to somehow try and solve the problem!

Also, I don't clean my beer lines. So the beer sat in the lines for a few days rather than being poured but the perlicks are forward sealing so that shoult be an issue?

I've noticed the same thing happen to me a couple times with my perlick faucets.

The beer on tap tasted fine. I went on travel for work for about a week and when I returned the beer had a weird bitter taste. I found that the bitterness went away after I poured a couple glasses.

I just chalked it up to the beer sitting in the lines for an extended time. If I noticed it again, I would just pour a glass and dump it. Generally, the second glass was much better and the bitterness was close to gone by the third.

Yeah, if you've been away a while you need to realize that the first pour contains beer that has been sitting in the lines/faucets at room temp (at at least way above serving temp) for a while. Pour about a half pint off first before you do start to drink, see if that helps.

Back