Second guessing my stout finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy2133

Reaction score
I need a second set of eyes and thoughts from the veterans on this one. I am beginning to think/worry the stout I just put in secondary might have stalled. I am planning to bottle this so I do not tie up a keg if it needs a bit of aging. My sample for the hydro had a lot of trub in it, can that through the reading off?

OG 1.078 (target was 1.062-1.066)
FG 1.030 with a bunch of trub
British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Created a 1,800mL Starter (used yeast calc and BS cell calculations for a 1.066 OG)

Airation was to shake the fermenter continuously for 30seconds twice with one 30sec break (Using a 9 gallon [30L] fermentor).

Yeast chugged and bubbled up like a monster for 3 days at 66F before starting to slow. Krusen fell on day 5 and I took to temp up to 70. Total time in primary was 3 weeks (I was bad and did not take any gravity readings before transferring).

After chilling the sample and tasting it was not sweet like fresh wort. Something I would consider closer to a milk stout or Imperial.

Mashed at 155F for 75min using BIAB. The lowest temp the mash dropped to was 150F and accidentally hit a high of 156F mid way. This is the first time I have mashed this high and gives me reason to think the brew finished fermenting.

Recipe for 5.25 gallons in fermenter:
10 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) 73.4 %
1 lbs Caramalt (Simpsons) 7.3 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) 5.5 %
12.0 oz Crystal, Dark (Simpsons) 5.5 %
9.0 oz Barley, Flaked 4.1 %
9.0 oz Oats, Flaked 4.1 %
2 Vanilla Beans in Secondary split open.
**Depending on taste might add a small amount of white rum or burbon infused with a vanilla bean at bottling.

It does sound like pretty low attenuation. Unfortunately, I’m only on my third all-grain batch, so I can’t help much. I will suggest you check gravity twice, 2 – 3 days apart to make sure it’s stable before bottling.

The higher mash temp means less fermentable sugars. that would give you the sweetness you taste. I mash my stout at 152F for 75 minutes to get a slightly drier version and then add lactose to sweeten it. I've never taken mine above 1.065 or so and see mine finish about 1.018. I would imaging that it would be closer to 1.024/1.026 if I increased my temp to 156F. Best thing is to wait 2 to 3 days tt it and wait another 3 or 3 days sad test it again.

The trub shouldn't affect the reading (within reason! You don't want the hydrometer coming to rest on a layer of sludge). But since you are probably going to be testing again in a few days, you should take that (trub-free) reading as the better one.

I had a stout once that finished at 1.034. It wasn't great, but neither was it terrible. My clientele liked it more than I did, probably because that number was playing with my mind. I chalked it up as a learning experience, which is what you should do also. RDWHAHB, and all that.

Cheers,

Thanks guys. I feel better now. My instincts were saying it is fine and RDWHAHB. The next morning drinking coffee with a clear mind made me doubt what I have going on.

Wow 10 lbs of Munich? I don't know if you would have enough diastatic power from that to convert the 1 lb, 2 oz of flaked grains you had in there. If I remember correctly munich just barely has enough to convert itself (or maybe not even that much). So starches from incomplete conversion could be adding to your FG number. Also 155F is a fairly high mash temp so that would lead to low attenuation and higher FG. And you're using an English strain that isn't a super high attenuator. It sounds like you managed your temperatures pretty well so I'm not sure if it's going to get much lower than that. But if it tastes good then bottle/keg it up and drink it! I would drink it a little quicker though because the starch in it might lead to stability problems.

I am with Peterj, 10 lbs of munich is your likely culprit. You usually use munich to add flavor and color. This is usually a few pounds max, not your base malt. This could certainly lead to a higher FG than expected as he said.

That being said, if it is done, it is done. If you have checked hydrometer readings 3 days apart and they are stable you are likely there. Keg it and drink it. Honestly after 3 weeks in primary it should be done.

Thanks guys. I got a funny look from another customer at the LHBS who didn't say much other than interesting. The owner of the LHBS was flying solo and busy that day so probably not in a good mind set for more off the wall ideas. Live and learn, at least I still got beer to drink. :mug:

On another note is BS wrong in the grain profile for noting it an be used as a base malt (without flaked grains I am assuming)?

Thanks guys. I got a funny look from another customer at the LHBS who didn't say much other than interesting. The owner of the LHBS was flying solo and busy that day so probably not in a good mind set for more off the wall ideas. Live and learn, at least I still got beer to drink. :mug:

On another note is BS wrong in the grain profile for noting it an be used as a base malt (without flaked grains I am assuming)?

It is technically a base malt, but you shouldn't really use it as the only base malt. You can just use it for a larger portion of the grain bill than specialty malts like caramel and roasted grains.

You can certainly use Munich as a base malt. As peterj notes, you just can't try and make it do what it can't, like convert a lot of other stuff. It helps to use a specialized mash regime, too.

What do you think is the main grist ingredient in Festbier? ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Latest posts

Back