Second grind for Phil Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46binder

Reaction score
Did frst AG last week, and didn't hit the OG, too low. Should have added DME, will know for next time which is tomorrow. Ground the grains today, and was looking at pics of what it should look like. My brother-in-law and I are brewing together, and have an old small Phill Mill. Last weeks batch we ran thru once, and looked like alot of intact grain. I ran it thru today getting it ready, and did it twice, I am posting a pic. I think it looks much better. Any problems running it thru twice? Not too small?

DSCN2924.jpg

DSCN2926.jpg

I'm assuming the first pic with two runs through the mill? Looks like there could be a bit more flour, but maybe someone with a better could give a second opinion. I just know when my LHBS mills there's a decent amount of flour and I get pretty good efficiency.

They're both the same just different camara settings. All the hulls are crushed. There is also a lot of 'flour', but I'm not doing BIAB so it shouldn't matter if too fine. Hope it works and we hit the numbers.

From what I can tell from the second pic there is some whole husks. -Kinda hard to see clearly.

46binder- You do want to be careful not to over crush the grain. You still want the husk intact, this is beneficial when all grain brewing to get a good lauter.

We did it! Second AG batch attempt and we hit the target gravity. Got the mash at 152 for an hour, and then used a Phil sparge arm. Everything went great. Thinking the grain crush was what was wrong last time.

You do know the Phil mill is adjustable right? Just turn the wingnut screw on the side if you want a finer crush.

We had the screw in as tight as could be. Wasn't a big deal to grind twice though.

Wow, really? If I screw mine in all the way all that will come out is flour. You have to adjust it before grain is in the mill otherwise it's very hard to adjust.

There wasn't much movement with the screw or plate. I'll have to disassemble it. It was used and might be clogged or stuck.

Back