Second batch noob, fermentation worry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffstuff

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm just a bit worried about my fermentation temp.. It's only my second batch . It's an amber ale with cal ale yeast.
I had the fermenter covered with towels and a few ice bottles . I was doing a good job of keeping the temp between 20 and 24 . (I'm taking the temp umber the towels , under fermenter and in te hydrometer reading )

It was going great for 8 days and the fermenting seemed to settle.

After doing so well but left the apartment for the weekend and after 3 days the temp had rocketed to 30 to 32c . I think that's a fahrenheit jump from about 74 to 84 ...
I just wondering what effect this could have on the beer and if I should do anything or just sit it out.

Thanks for any advice , I love this site and I learn so much reading on here, I have a few days bottle conditioning left on my first batch and I am like a kid at Christmas waiting to relax with a home brew.
Also sorry about the massive story just want to give as much info as possible .
Duff

A raise in temp after the first few days will not effect flavor. If it got into the high 90s it could kill the yeast. 80s is fine.

Not to mention, the majority of your actual fermentation should be wrapping up. Still ideal to keep it cooler, but the yeast should be eating up the leftovers now and there is a reduced risk of creating the off flavors associated with fermenting at higher temperatures towards the beginning.

Not to mention, the majority of your actual fermentation should be wrapping up. Still ideal to keep it cooler, but the yeast should be eating up the leftovers now and there is a reduced risk of creating the off flavors associated with fermenting at higher temperatures towards the beginning.

+1. While its not ideal to have a big temp swing like that I would prefer to have it occur after most of the fermentation has already taken place.

OP: This will limit the impact on the flavor of your beer. I doubt you will be able to taste much, if any, off flavor but if you do simply take note. When I do end up producing an off flavor, which happens more times than I would like :eek:, I try my best to identify that flavor and figure out what I can do in the future to prevent it.

The likely off flavor that could be produced (feel free to correct me if I am providing misinformation :) ) is diaceytl, a buttery flavor, because the yeast may not have had a chance to properly clean it all up after fermentation has completed. Check out this link for a little more info on off flavors!

Wow that's great info, I always have trouble describing flavors !! Also I did this batch with a friend and I'm delighted I didn't ruin it and have to call him up hahaha

Thanks again .

Back