second batch in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mascrappo

Reaction score
Hi again,

I just transferred my second batch of brew, a Dortmunder "clone" this time, again from Austin Homebrew. It was almost the same kit as the first AHB Dortmunder, which I recently bottled, with some kit exceptions. This batch I tried W34/70 yeast instead of S23, just experimenting.

Good news to report, latest batch came out to spec on the instructions, gravity(s) were spot on!

I now have 3 kits in the fridge I need to make: Two Bass Ale clones from AHB, and Helles Half Acre lager from Texas Brewing. I plan on 2 different yeasts on the Ales, just to see what happens.

Thanks again for the support and refresher course tips!

Sounds like you're on a brewing roll. :rock:
In case this wasn't brought to your attention yet, secondaries are mostly not necessary, it's fine or even beneficial to leave it all in your "primary." Brew instruction still tend to include secondaries, just skip over them.

:mug:

Sounds like you're on a brewing roll. :rock:
In case this wasn't brought to your attention yet, secondaries are mostly not necessary, it's fine or even beneficial to leave it all in your "primary." Brew instruction still tend to include secondaries, just skip over them.

:mug:
I have read secondary is a thing of the past, kinda like me... :eek:

As I mentioned I was brewing back in the 1900s and secondary is what you did back then. If I get one that turns out too pretty to secondary I might try skipping over that part.

If I get one that turns out too pretty to secondary I might try skipping over that part.
Increased chances of oxidation and infection are the real detriments to racking to secondaries, while there's nothing they fix. Beer will clear, and yeast autolysis won't be an issue until after 2-3 months, or longer.

Controlling ferm temps will get you better beer, while preventing oxidation in any part of the process is on top of the list, especially with hoppier beers, such as IPAs and NEIPAs. Read around, much has changed since the (late) 1900s. Even since 2008, when I started. ;)

I had to go overseas once and left an IPA in primary for 4 months...no issues.

+1 to no secondary advice above for reasons stated, plus why do unnecessary work?

I just transferred my Kolsch to a secondary , it was as easy as mixing some sanitizer, attaching a hose to a spigot and tuning the knob. I also harvested my yeast afterwards. It freed up my primary for a Cider I'm starting tomorrow. I enjoy all the steps in homebrewing or I wouldn't do it. I don't consider it "work" as some have stated.

Of all the scary warnings I've heard of secondarys, nobody has reported any first hand problem in doing so. Not having to worry about autolysis after a few weeks in the primary is a bigger concern than infecting your beer using basic sanitation.

Don't be scared to use a secondary if you need to free up the primary, if you are letting your beer age a bit or if you are adding anything to your beer. Also, nobody warns against racking into a bottling bucket for fear of ruining your beer.

Employing basic good sanitation when using a secondary likely will minimize most infection risk. And using a secondary likely will not have negative effects on a beer. Agreed to both. There are many processes out there and one should find the one that works and is personally enjoyable.

But, autolysis at home brewing scale is not a realistic concern, we need to stop restating that disproven myth.

And BTW I also choose not to rack to a bottling bucket, I find it isn't necessary and I can avoid another potential, albeit low, risk of infection and oxidation.

Peace out.

I just do because that's how I've done it for years, just second nature to secondary. Time consuming, a bit, but yes I have also done it to free up the primary.

But, autolysis at home brewing scale is not a realistic concern, we need to stop restating that disproven myth.

Homebrew All-Stars, p 132 suggests a rather pragmatic approach to this topic: 1) learn to identify the off flavors from autolysis, and 2) if one gets those off flavors (without moving the beer off the yeast cake), adjust your approach to brewing to eliminate those off flavors.

As I mentioned recently in another post:
It's likely that some people are highly sensitive to umami from autolysis (but rarely post in forums), highly sensitive to peach in US-05 (and post in forms on occasion), highly sensitive to ... . There's a link to the science in the early part of chapter 5 of The New IPA.

Also, nobody warns against racking into a bottling bucket for fear of ruining your beer.
Funny you mention that point. It is commented on, occasionally, on the UK sister site that a bottling bucket is too much work, oxidizes the beer and increases the risk of infection.

Last edited:
A lot of generalizing going on here between what is best and what you can get away with. Yes you can use a secondary, splash the beer into a bottling bucket and pour from a spigot directly into a bottle and you MAY get beer that is drinkable.

But there are risks. Transferring to secondary (whose only benefit may be a slightly more clear beer) IS a risk for infection and oxidation. Eliminating the secondary is too easy a step to ignore to avoid the risk.

Using a bottling bucket is open to air increasing the chance of oxidation. I use one whenever I bottle, and I acknowledge the risk, but for me it is a risk that hasn't been much of a concern.

Autolysis is something that is of no concern in a homebrew setting unless you are extremely sensitive to the flavor. It is a concern in commercial since the yeast is under hydro pressure of 20-40 or more feet of beer on top of it.

Everyone's acceptance of risk vs reward to getting the beer that suits them will vary. But look at the options and there may be methods that will make your good beer better.

Back