Second all-grain brew, infection scare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickz

Reaction score
I’ve recently made the move to all grain brewing and last weekend I did an outmeal stout which is currently sitting in the fermenter.
I have a feeling I am dealing with a bit of an infection with this one, but I’m not too sure.
The top of the beer is covered in small air bubbles and not the foamy bubbly krausen I usually get. It doesn’t smell that terrible just yet.
I’m going to keep it going and see what it tastes like either way, but based on this photo would you say it’s infected?

Attachments

• AF9C1471-8A99-4BB4-B406-BB6276512C99.jpeg
    AF9C1471-8A99-4BB4-B406-BB6276512C99.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 111
How long ago did you brew/pitch yeast? Is this pre or post-fermentation? What temp is this held at? How much yeast did you pitch?
Looks normal to me. Looks as if fermentation is just starting and this is CO2 being produced. Until you start seeing a pellicle, fuzzies, or floaties, don't sweat it.

Another vote for not infected; Actually it looks really, really done already though... Not being a stout guy I don't know how they act... did krausen rise and completely clear to that level already in four days? Might want to take a reading and see what is going on.

Your fine. I thought that the first time that happened to my stout. Just make sure you leave it for 8-10 days before measuring it. I'd wait 10 so you do not have to keep opening and souring your beer. With Stouts I have found that the last 4-6 points drag...slow to come down to 1012 / 1010. It is always taller then a lighter beer on the scale

The krausen on a stout will not be the same as the krausen on a pale beer. Getting an infection in the primary is very rare and usually requires some lack of sanitation.

I see a small krausen line in your pic, so it looks like it fermented well. However, it's probably not done, yeast need to clean up after themselves. Give it another week. Does not look like an infection to me. Per the above, darker beers can take longer to finish out than their lighter cousins. Also looks like you have a LOT of headspace; minimize any possible oxidation by keeping that lid on and don't disturb it.

Back