Seasoned bartenders: what's behind your bar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok first I have to say on my iPhone I searched bartenders and got no results before posting this(I'm sure a server lag issue or something cause I am pretty sure I'm not the first)

My daughter is turning 21 Sunday next year and I'm just wondering where I would take her out. Really depends on the kind of drinks she prefers over what the bartender can make with what's available. So I was just curious to see what all you, as a seasoned bartender, would want and what you would, at least EXPECT, to be behind any bar you strolled the backside of, without knowing what you're clientele preferred to drink. I understand beer variety is subject to clientele of said establishment so we can forgo beer recommendations unless it would be an integral ingredient in said beverage.

I try not to bother the forum with oft asked( I'm sure) questions. But I really couldn't think of a better place to poll as we all but guaranteed have more than one seasoned bartender on this forum that wouldn't mind stating what they expect to find behind their bar.

And to forum Mods/Admin if you feel this is inappropriate and or redundant or we be better asked in a different Forum topic please delete/move with my apologies.

Sent from somewhere to someone

An experienced bar tender would most likely tend a well and fully stocked bar and IME most bars are stocked well enough to make most drinks:)

So your gonna take your daughter out and get her drunk:drunk:

Sent from the Commune

I would start with something basic:
Margarita on the rocks
Daquiri
Bloody Mary
Rum and Coke

Does she like sweet or sour? Rocks or blended?

An experienced bar tender would most likely tend a well and fully stocked bar and IME most bars are stocked well enough to make most drinks:)

So your gonna take your daughter out and get her drunk:drunk:

Sent from the Commune

I'm sure most bartenders do tend a well and fully stocked bar. I am just curious as to what all Liquor they expect to be behind that fully stocked bar. And no I'm not taking her out to get her drunk. I'm taking her out to have a good time and make sure nothing bad happens to her should she happen to get drunk.

I would start with something basic:
Margarita on the rocks
Daquiri
Bloody Mary
Rum and Coke

Does she like sweet or sour? Rocks or blended?

I believe she would be more into the sweeter blended drinks than on the rocks.

Sent from somewhere to someone

As long as you take her to a decent establishment I'm sure you'll have a great selection. My girlfriend prefers vodka +cucumber +lemonade. Some bars stock cucumber flavored vodka and can mix with lemonade.

I prefer cocktail bars when I'm wanting something that isn't beer. Most of my local/hipster dives have good beer selections and downtown bars are full of high volume 20 year old bartenders who don't know how to make a manhattan properly.
I would look for:

-Good liqueurs: charteuse, luxardo, and Campari are three that I would need to see:
-Good vermouth: Dolin! If they have martini & Rossi, I'm gonna pass.
-Nice single barrel options for whiskey.
-house made syrups, mixes, and tinctures. They have that neon yellow sweet & sour mix that you don't have to refrigerate? PASS! House made bitters = good.
-A unique cocktail menu. A mixture of classics with a twist and modern but interesting new offerings.

I saw on one of the youtube bartenders he listed a basic group every bar needs to cover a majority of mixed drinks.

Latest posts

Back