Searching for Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEndorf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've spent the last several frustrating hours shopping for hops to no avail.
Looking to see if others have recommendations and where to buy.
I've looked at Farmhouse Brewing Supply, Hops Direct, and others who cater to breweries; not home brewers. No luck.
In a nutshell:

Looking for - earthy / woody / cedar / tobacco

NOT - Pineapple / mango / citrus / tropical / grapefruit / tangerine / apricot / etc..... which appears to be about 99% of the market.

Specifically, what I'm looking for is the equivalent of Vojvodina (which is no longer available).

Hopeful that others might have some ideas of substitutions.

I've spent the last several frustrating hours shopping for hops to no avail.
Looking to see if others have recommendations and where to buy.
I've looked at Farmhouse Brewing Supply, Hops Direct, and others who cater to breweries; not home brewers. No luck.
In a nutshell:

Looking for - earthy / woody / cedar / tobacco

NOT - Pineapple / mango / citrus / tropical / grapefruit / tangerine / apricot / etc..... which appears to be about 99% of the market.

Specifically, what I'm looking for is the equivalent of Vojvodina (which is no longer available).

Hopeful that others might have some ideas of substitutions.

Yakima Valley Hops. It’s the only place I buy fresh hops. [emoji482]

Any noble hop or descendent thereof, like Crystal :)
Fuggles
Progress (similar to Fuggles)
Pahto
Target
Challenger might be good but you'll have to decide whether it tastes too citrusy.

Just a few ideas.
You could maybe look at using herbs for flavoring; you don't necessarily need to get those desired qualities from hops. You can also literally add wood to get wood flavor.

Cheers

For the earthy hops you can't go wrong with Willamette, and its cheap. I've used it with great success in darker beers where I don't want too much citrus/piney/floral. I'd go with moderate additions at 60 and 30; adding it as a flavor/aroma in the last 10-15 minutes brings out more citrus/floral, whereas earlier additions give a good bittering and somewhat earthy character. YMMV, my 2 cents.

@CodeSection - Just ordered three lbs. from your link.
Northwest Hop Farms has decent prices and good selection.
Shipping is a bit of a butt-sting from Canada though.

Some of the noble hops have similar characteristics but lack the intensity and don't achieve the result I'm looking for in this style. Some are overpowered by floral / citrus as well.
I haven't tried Willamette. That might be a good alternative.

I like the @RPh_Guy idea of experimenting with alternatives to hops. I have little experience with herbs and wood chips. This would be fun to play with.

@CodeSection - Just ordered three lbs. from your link.
Northwest Hop Farms has decent prices and good selection.
Shipping is a bit of a butt-sting from Canada though.

Some of the noble hops have similar characteristics but lack the intensity and don't achieve the result I'm looking for in this style. Some are overpowered by floral / citrus as well.
I haven't tried Willamette. That might be a good alternative.

I like the @RPh_Guy idea of experimenting with alternatives to hops. I have little experience with herbs and wood chips. This would be fun to play with.

Can never go wrong with a Beechwood aged lager....

Back