Sealing refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b-radbrew

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I'm undecided on how I should do this. I've got a spare fridge in the garage that I've taken over for a beer fridge. Well, I can fit 2 kegs in there but I have to put something heavy against the door to keep it shut because the shelves push up against the kegs and the door won't stay closed. I want to take the door shelves off but then of course the existing seal can't stay because it slides onto that whole plastic piece of the shelves. So my first thought was getting some of the stick on door seal but because the gap is so big, I'd have to put 1 strip on the door and another around the opening in order to take up the gap. Then I'd do some sort of latch to keep it closed tight. Was wondering if anyone had any tips or things you've had luck with using if you've done the same thing?

I built two kegerators last month... one had metal strips inside the door seals that allowed me to reinstall the door seals after the plastic door lining was removed.

The other fridge was like your description where the plastic door liner is required to install the door seal. In this case, you'd want to cut out the plastic to form a rectangle frame to be able to reinstall the door seal. I was able to cut the plastic door liner with a sharp box knife... but your plastic may be too thick to cut with a knife and might require something more powerful (like a jigsaw).

At any rate, if you can keep the original door seals... I think that would be preferable to something else.

I was kind of looking at that route too. Thought maybe about finding some type of sheeting that was a similar thickness to the plastic of the shelves and clipping the seal onto that and screwing back onto the door. I didn't want to make it too big of a project but I think you're right in wanting to use the original seal. Thanks for the input.

Back